SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to the world of Android boxes.

I purchased an M8S android box from a amazon last christmas, and have had nothing but hassle with it. Mainly with the various KODI add-ons, but also with other apps i try launch. I tried updating via Settings area, and I get the error "Check Failed. Check your OTA settings".

I recently gave it to a friend of mine who works with these boxes, to update the KODI image, and it seems just as bad.

When i launch movies or sports i.e. NJM Sports, i get errors like "Failed 404", "Script Failed" or "Add-on is incompatable due to unmet dependencies. Would you like to disable".

I cant launch the playstore, just stays on loading circle.

Showbox displays movies list but when i try launch its empty.

Basically it seems to be a pile of rubbish that just wont do anything
frown.png

Im wondering can someone steer me towards updating this box fully from scratch, to a solid current build of both android and KODI? Or is there something obvious i am possibly missing here?

Model Number: wj-m8s

Android V: 4.4.2

Build: KOT49H.20150917-1509 Test-keys

Kernel V: 3.10.33

KODI v: 14.1 (Helix)

Thanks in advance, and great forum.

D

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Two options for you:

Option 1

1.a. Check the date/time is correct. Some machines default to a date in 1970. This can prevent access to playstore. Go into settings - date/time and make sure the automatically set date to network (or similar) box is ticked plus use the options to reset time if necessary.

1.b. Completely delete the installed version of kodi. If playstore now works, get the latest version from there. If not get it from the official kodi website.

1.c. Once you have downloaded it, download the wookie wizard and try the wookie lite or seans build (sean is on this forum as well and his build is well maintained).

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-the-wookie-wizard-for-kodi/

That should sort out a few things. Your android version at 4.4.2 is currently good. You should however contact your supplier and ask if there is a more recent firmware for your box.

Btw the 404 error on njm was fixed last weekend by the developer. Get the updated version from the ares wizard addon.

You may want to download a more recent version of showbox.

Option 2 - preferred

You have probably hit the nail on the head when you say the m8s box is a pile of rubbish. So consider buying a replacement from Droidbox. Anything in the T8 series is good. The mxqpro is worth looking at if on a budget. You will get proper support. A warranty, ota updates and help and advice from fellow Droidbox users on this forum.

Reactions: Fritz-69 and angela

SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
That was a major help dude, thanks so much... yes any more troubles and ill scrap this thing and probably take you up on that offer.

Quick question, im still seeing pauses and latency on most of the movies etc that a launch. Is this likely down to bandwidth restraints? I have a 15MB connection which i thought would be well enough to watch SD at least.

I spent 15 minutes watching the nice guys on vidtime and it just went black and crashed to main screen grrrr :(

Thanks again.. dave

Last edited:
Reactions: David Savage

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Could be a number of causes.
1. Are you using wifi or Ethernet. Wifi signal may be weak. Download speedtest by Ookla from Google play and do some tests. If wifi speed is low, see if you can connect by Ethernet or move box nearer to the router. 15mbps would normally be fine for streaming.
2. Sometimes rebooting the router can help.
3. Which Addons are you getting problems on? Sometimes servers can get overloaded which is another source of buffering.
4. Ensure you do regular maintenance on your machine, clearing cache in Kodi (ares wizard, xfinity maintenance tool etc all have tools for making machines run better)
5. Having told you to run one of the builds, the reality is the more Addons you have present, the more likely is the possibility of performance issues. So delete any unused or unwanted Addons.

Probably no 1 is the one to focus on.

And I haven't been called "dude" since I was fiveteen. A long time ago lol.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Check kodi is not set to zero cache...to do this go to Xunity maintenance and tweeks and then go to check what XML I'm using. If it comes back as none then your fine, but it it's says you have zero cache then on the same page click on Delete advanced XML.

Good luck and some good advice from Nigelar.

Reactions: Sal and angela

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
If you have been set to zero cache then you might need to check storage in Android settings as it might be full. Go out of kodi and setting and more setting and other then storage. If you are on lollipop it might be slightly different.

Reactions: Sal

SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
Thanks for the amazing advice Nigelar... your definitley a dude in my eyes :p

And same for you david.. thanks a million.. will be checking all this out when i get a chance :)

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Just to add a bit to this thread, if you are wanting to watch a live stream ie.sports with minimum buffer reboot your router 1st then start kodi and do the ares maintenance.

SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
Thanks so much again guys..... :)

Can anyone offer advice on viewing Skysports and stuff... is there a recommended / stable plugin?

I previously had IPTV Stalker, wondering is it still current or recommended?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Virtually every addon with a sports or a livetv section offers slysports. The holy grail of kodi is constanty getting stable high quality streams. Which are often there. If you want it guaranteed though as opposed to free then you will need to subscribe to sly or vermin or blunder telecom or whoever.

Reactions: SuperD

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The mobdro and uktvnow android apps can also be very good. You will have to google their web sites to grab the apk files and download/install.

27mark

Aug 10, 2015
bin the m8s,i have one and dont like it much at all, then contact the lovely people at droidbox and buy a shiny new t8s, job done

SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
Hi guys. Im looking to sell on this M8S box to a friend. Can anyone recommend a current stable build of Kodi for it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
From earlier posts, you had android 4.4.2 so that rules out Kodi 17.
I don't know what version of Kodi you ended up loading when we last spoke (see above) but Kodi 16.1 will probably work ok.

SuperD

Aug 1, 2016
Thanks for response. I was running KODI 14 which i only realised. Upgraded to 16.1 and installed ARES wizard, and from there Pulse Kodi build.

Looks like a great build so far. Well done whoever created it.

And thanks again for you prompt response on here. Great forum, great people :)