1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mame Roms On RG350

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming General Discussion' started by vkaile, Nov 13, 2019.

1. vkaile

vkaile New Member

Where to copy Mame Roms on RG350 , as the two emulators on it are not able the find the Mame Roms on the External SD Card, Kindly Help

2. Dave C

Dave C Administrator Staff Member

For XMAME the files need to be on the internal storage at /media/data/local/share/xmame/roms .

I have not tried this on the RG350 but if make an APPS folder on the external card, then copy the contents of /xmame/ to the APPS folder, it should work if you add the files there instead of internal.

This may also work for MAME4ALL

Please also check that you are using the correct MAME romset for the version.

3. vkaile

vkaile New Member

copied one rom from the 0.37b5 romset into the above mentioned folder, it still didnt seem to find it

4. Dave C

Highlight the XMAME icon and press SELECT, there is an option to read the manual for it. All the information on which romset it requires is on there. I just checked the folders and there should be

/media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame52
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame69
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84

and in each folder should be a rom folder. You need to copy the correct romset depending on the version of the emulator you are using, you can switch between them on the emulator menu with the R trigger. You may need to refresh the list by pressing START.

5. vkaile

vkaile New Member

yes already read the manual and downloaded the mentioned romset 0.37b5, and yes copied the roms in the above mentioned roms folders of each version individually, it did not recognize / find any rom except its preloaded rom , 1 in each rom folder ........

6. Dave C

Are you copying them to the internal storage? Did you press START after switching between versions (Right trigger)? I tried this earlier and it worked fine. I have not had a chance to see if the external card method works or not.

7. vkaile

vkaile New Member

yes copied them in internal memory and yes switched via right trigger , the copied roms are not visible , only the preloaded one single rom in each version is visible

8. Dave C

You may have the wrong romset for the version of XMAME folder. There are three versions of XMAME, so try pressing Right Trigger then START to refresh for each version. My only other suggestions is if you are not already on the latest firmware, v1.6 at the time of writing this, you can try updating. There is a guide in the forum.

9. islandsnow

islandsnow New Member

where exactly is the mame emulator (xmame or mame4all) getting its list of games from? when i look at

/media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame52/roms
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame69/roms
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84/roms

and its all empty

10. I registered on this website just to add this note:

I was trying to add my MAME Roms to my external SD card, instead of the internal storage, for use with XMame. This worked for me:

I copied my Mame Roms to my SD card, put the SD card into the RG350, connected the RG350 to my computer and logged into it with WinSCP (after starting the Network app on the RG350 of course).

Then I used WinSCP to rename:
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84/roms​

to something else, like:
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84/roms_backup.​

I then used WinSCP to make a link from the roms folder on my SD card:
    /media/sdcard/<location of your 0.84 roms>​

to:
    /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84/roms​

It worked perfectly!

Don't forget, after you've used the L and R buttons to select xmame.SDL.84 [ALL Games xxxx] (or whatever applies to your scenario), you have to hit the Start button to refresh the ROM list cache (even though the built in manual says it's the select button, at least on my version).

resplined and Dave C like this.
  11. fasigit

fasigit New Member

Hi, I download MAME ROMs and I download MAME Emulator, but now I found that there are so many different versions of MAME games: MAME 1.uo12 or MAME 1.11 for example, my question is how to find the emulator for the exact MAME ROMs. Is there a different emulator for different MAME console or with the standard MAME emulator you can play all these different types of MAME ROMs?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  12. Dave C

MAME uses the 0.37b5 romset. So you would need to download the versions of that romset.

13. resplined

resplined New Member

Thanks for the tip. I tried this on my PocketGo 2 but kept getting errors in WinSCP. What ended up working was to SSH into the PocketGo2 and create the link that way. Like this:
    ln -s /media/sdcard/<location of your 0.84 roms> /media/data/local/share/xmame/xmame84/roms