kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
hi

i have a strange problem with my ebay mxq quad core jail broke android box ,everything seem to work ok at the moment but the blue LED light no longer works at all ?.
the box comes on and off as it should with the remote and the dim red led is working when in standby mode .

i was using it yesterday all day and the blue light was ok ,i put it in standby(turned off with remote) at around 5pm and at around 8 pm turned it on again but no blue light?

is there a reason for this like some sort of fault code or is it as simple as the LED has gone ? the box is about 5 weeks old ,am not to bothered if the light doesnt work as long as thats all it is .

i have tried pulling the power cord out for 20 mins but did nothing and really dont want to reboot/reset if i dont have to as i will lose all my faves etc

thanks

dave

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
If the box is still actually working it sounds like a fault with the led. If the box is still under warranty (you say it is only 5 weeks old), then maybe return to the seller for fixing if it is a real issue. Failures of this kind tend to be a common problem with cheap Chinese clone boxes.

kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
wow that was quick.
think ill live with it as its working just wondered if it was more sinister than a dodgy led.

thanks ..

ps is there a better quality box i can buy ?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Yes as you are on the forum of "Droidbox" it is no surprise that we would recommend one of their boxes. Go to the main page and check out the t8 series boxes. I have a t8 and would highly recommend them. Plus as you have seen, you get support from the user community.

Reactions: ChrisM

kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
Nigelar am gonna bite the bullet and order a t8 ,the t8 mini is catching my eye is there a massive difference between the t8 mini and the t8 splus openelec what ever openelec is lol im a newby really to all this ..

also the mxq box i have now says it will update over the internet but it just comes up with servier argent need checking or somat like that,will the t8's update over the internet without me having to download somat and flash it via sd card. ha ha listen to me sounding all techy ;-) can you tell ive been reading lol

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hello.
I would say the main difference between the t8mini and t8s plus is down to how much on board storage you want. The t8s plus has more (32gb) plus does allow you to add a hard disk drive, the t8 mini has 16gb. So it depends how much stuff (movies, music, photos) you want to store on the box. The t8s plus has a slighly more powerful processor.

Openelec is present on both boxes. This is an alternative os to android purely used on these boxes to run kodi. So it can be more efficient as background android stuff is not running.

Both machines have ota (over the air) upgrading. This allows new functionality to be added. Sometimes if the upgrade is significant it will wipe your current android app/kodi configuration. You can choose not to apply it, back up and apply and then restore or just let it happen and load things manually. It is possible that a really major upgrade (like an android update) that involves reflashing the box, will need to use the sd card method.

Last edited:

kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
thanks again for your reply , i have a 1 tb stand alone hard drive which i want to plug into the usb port just for storing/viewing my pics on really i dont download any copyright stuff as i think it has lots of legal issues but i do stream stuff which im told is ok as im not downloading it ?

what is the true legal situation in the uk re streaming do you know ? and is that why people use vpn ??

thanks again

dave.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Streaming is totally legal.
Downloading may be a grey area especially if using file sharing/torrent sites.

People use vpns for various reasons.
It hides your ip address so technically nobody knows who you are. So hard to trace you.

You can also use vpns to override isp blocking. If, say, virgin block access to the kodi icefilms addon in the uk, you can use the vpn to pretend your machine is in the united states or wherever and circumvent blocking.

Some people use vpns to access "foreign" versions of legal streaming services. E.g. the us version of netflix had a better selection of films so people would access from an us vpn host.

Another reason is geo blocking where some apps are totally blocked outside a particular country. E.g. bbc iplayer outside the uk. People can use a vpn to pretend they are in the host country.
Many apps are cottoning on to this now and detect if you are using a vpn and stop access (i think this is the case with iplayer).

kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
Wow great reply cheers. Think im gonna use the vpn thing that comes with the droidbox ,ipvanish for piece of mind.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Streaming is legal as long as you don't add add-on that by pass subscriptions or pay per view and box office programs.
It's a grey area....thats why kodi 17 krypton does not allow any wizards on.
Also to add add-ons you need to by pass warnings about illegal content.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Streaming is totally legal.
Downloading may be a grey area especially if using file sharing/torrent sites.

People use vpns for various reasons.
It hides your ip address so technically nobody knows who you are. So hard to trace you.

You can also use vpns to override isp blocking. If, say, virgin block access to the kodi icefilms addon in the uk, you can use the vpn to pretend your machine is in the united states or wherever and circumvent blocking.
Some people use vpns to access "foreign" versions of legal streaming services. E.g. the us version of netflix had a better selection of films so people would access from an us vpn host.

Another reason is geo blocking where some apps are totally blocked outside a particular country. E.g. bbc iplayer outside the uk. People can use a vpn to pretend they are in the host country.
Many apps are cottoning on to this now and detect if you are using a vpn and stop access (i think this is the case with iplayer).
Downloading is legal if you get the correct permissions (licences) from all parties involved.
Torrents are illegal as you become the host so stay clear of these...because it downloads onto your box and then sent to the next...as I understand.
Torrents and torrent-based apps like Popcorn Time are where the sketchiness comes into play. When you download from a torrent, you’re unknowingly also complicit in a process called reseeding; basically meaning your computer is being used as a server to share the file with other users as you download. At that point, you are no longer just passively watching the video, but are participating in the distribution of this file. It is also very easy for other torrenters to unmask your IP address since you’re acting as a public server, copyright holders will often uncover the identities of pirates this way. Depending on the level of participation, fines of anything from $300 – $3000 are known to be given out regularly.

The only really dangerous aspect of streaming is when people start to charge money for access to content. If you don’t own the content, than charging access to streams is highly illegal and could likely result in jail time. We’re highly against this type of thing, it happens quite often with sports. It’s fairly easy for copyright holders to subpoena the payment processors of these services to uncover the identities of users, at which point you could get fined. It’s also quite immoral to charge for access to something you don’t own.

There isn’t anything to worry about if you’re only using stuff you find on this site (kodi recommended), but if you’re looking to minimize your liability anyway, it would be a good idea to subscribe to a VPN Service to entirely hide your identity when surfing the web. As privacy rights online begin to diminish, more and more users have opted to surf the web through a VPN Service in order to maintain their privacy. They are easy to install and could in many cases actually speed up your internet connection.

Last edited:

kawasakiinit

Apr 18, 2016
thanks for the reply

question

when you pay for a vpn service with a debit/credit card or paypal surely that is a security risk in itself ? if the authorities legally demand the vpn provider to hand over the details of paying customers would that not defeat the object or am i missing something ?
and do you recommend ipvanish?
cheers ..

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com