cscott1

Aug 17, 2016
Hello folks I'm not having much luck with a problem I'm having over at the Kodi and TV addons forums thought I would try my luck over here. I am trying to use my client android MXQ Pro to download media files to my windows PC server storage folders using UPnP path...

I can download movies from Kodi on my computer to the appropriate MOVIE and TV SHOWS folders.
I can retrieve these movies from clients so I am streaming them over my local network. I use UPnP protocol.
And of course I can stream content over Kodi but I am liking the idea of downloading HD content in off peak internet hours for obvious reasons.

Here is the problem....

I cannot download content FROM my clients TO the server. In Exodus settings on each client I have download setting activated and have them to download to the server in the appropriate folders. The path to get to MOVIES and TV SHOWS is quite long probably 30 characters or longer. The path to download folders is positively correct as it is the same path I use from clients to server to stream content.

I can select "download" of selected movie in Exodus and then it acts like it is downloading, even giving me status on the download. However no content is ever sent to the selected folders. It's like they end up in cyber space. They are definitely not on my computer anywhere or on my Android box storage as I have searched both after download is complete.

So the bottom line is I can download content from my server to the appropriate folders and then stream this content from each respective client. However, I cannot download from my clients to the server.

I thought where the problem lied was in Android devices not giving Kodi or Exodus the add-on I'm using to download media files the permission to write to any external storage. I thought I had this figured out and was actually able to write to my 32 gig SD card which is a big improvement from the 4 gigs of internal storage in my device by installing SDFIX and ES File Explorer from Play Store. Running SDFIX. In file explorer selecting the Root Explorer slider (on the left) and then clicking on the words Root Explorer, a pop-up box allows you to select "Mount R/W", then a second pop-up box allows you to select RW for the devices requiring RW access. You then are able to make backups and downloads to the selected internal HDD and external drives however when I did this and set up my UPnP path to my server the files disappeared into a cyberspace black hole...

facepalm gonna spend a few few hours with my friend google trying to figure it out or possibly start looking into tuning my PC into a HTPC or NAS it would be nice to control all my downloads from all clients and have them all seamlessly stored in a centralized place if anyone has any insight or can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've not dealt with UPnP a great deal at this sort of level, but one quick thought...
If the long path could be causing an issue, can you set parameters so that a shorter name points to that specific location? A bit like if you were just using SMB, you could end up with \\192.168.1.22\Downloads\Movies\Action\PublicDomainFilmObviously\ . You could right click that PublicDomainFilmObviously folder in Windows Explorer and set it as a share with a new name, so \\192.168.1.22\PDFO could be created, as an example.