james blick

Apr 23, 2016
Is anyone else experiencing framerate issues with Netflix? All Netflix content has a frequent micro stutter/frame skip present, similar to when watching a 23.976 frame webripped film. I spent some time with a cheap chinese box before this, and it had the same problem framerate as this, but also on any media played from a portable Hdd. The Droidbox is fine with the Hdd, but very distracting whilst watching Netflix.

Some people are probably thinking to themselves that I could probably get everything via Kodi anyway, but the WDTV live (Netflix/Youtube)box that I am replacing, played everything fine with no problems. The Droidbox is better in every other way, but I don't want to have to keep a seperate box hooked up just to watch Netflix.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you check the resolution and refresh rate set right now in Android please?
From the homescreen, click on the icon of two cogs, you'll be in the first Settings area now.
From there, head to Display, and then Screen Resolution.
Turn off the auto switch to best resolution option, then make a note of the current setting.
Next, click onto one of the modes below (ignoring the one it was originally set to) and confirm you want to keep the change:

1080p 50hz
1080p at 60Hz
720p 50Hz
720p 60Hz
The various 4K modes (if your TV is also 4K/UltraHD)

Now return to Netflix and bring up a video that demonstrated the issue well previously. Repeat with the other modes, and let us know if any helped, please.

james blick

Apr 23, 2016
I have taken the resolution off automatic best (it selected 1080@50hz), and tried it with all other options as advised.
I've put it on 1080@60hz which seems to be the best. The stutter doesn't seem to occur as frequently, but is still noticeable (especially on moving objects, panning camera etc)
and takes me out of whatever i'm watching whenever it happens. This problem doesn't exist when streaming using Kodi, or usb stuff, so is it a Netflix android app problem? Surely I can't be the only person affected if so?