Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
Hi all,

Well, I have just taken the plunge and bought myself a T8-S Plus Gamer's Edition. Fingers crossed I won't regret it. I want to hard wire it to my router instead of using wireless, do you think that is wise? I will have to drill through two walls, but there are holes there already for the old type Sky box when you used to have it hooked up to the phone line before they went wireless. I just need to make them a little bit bigger for the network cable plugs. The run is around 16ft so a 5 meter cable is needed.

Is this run too long?

What type/make of cable do you recommend?

Many thanks,
Steve :)

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Connecting via Ethernet is a very good idea.
Ensure you get a Minimum of cat5 cable. (Cat5e better and supports higher speeds)
Look for names like belkin and netgear.
They are cheap enough on Amazon.

Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
Looking into it a bit more, would Cat 7 be a better bet?

I only need a 5m run...

Is Cat 7 cable round or flat?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Cat 7 is overkill if all you are going to connect is your Droidbox (generally it is used for office or all house networks).
As for whether it is round, square or triangular, I have no idea. Look it up in the Amazon store.

Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
Cat 7 is around the same money and supposed to be for streaming Ultra HD TV, at least it will be future proof ;)

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Cat 7 overkill. Ive got 5e and its fast as. Ive got holes in the ceiling in the kitchen - wife going mad but she don't complain when she watches Greys Anatomy flawless speed.
Wired all the way

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
you are ok with small runs of CAT5E its when you start going over 100mtrs you start loosing signal, i Recommend CAT 7 due to its double screening and i need cat7 as i have high rf in my house from my ham radio, if i use cat5 rf can get in my cable and drop my internet. so i always say get what you can afford, but with a 5mtr run cat5e will be fine for you. and CAT7 is about 2 to 3mm thicker than cat5e.