bicky

Jul 13, 2018
I have an MBox ( Formerly Gostreamer T8X-S), this is running S905 Quad Core. Android 5.1.1.This device has been working fine for a couple of years, all of a sudden NO Sound. I have tried all the various fixes, but nothing happens to change the situation. I cannot update the firmware using OTA, this has been disabled by Gostreamer ceasing to trade. The Android menu does say that there is an upgrade pending. Any advice on what I can do. I don't use Kodi, but have the IPlayer, All4, My5, running direct plus USB files for Movies.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Knowing "all the various fixes" you've tried would be useful so we don't suggest something you've already tried.
For example, have you tried a different hdmi lead?
Have you done a factory reset?
Tried a different hdmi port on your TV?
Tried a different TV?
Etc

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Yes I have done all of these things, checked all sound settings, Digital Audio detection and various outputs, mute on/off - I think that the only solution will be a Firmware reset, but where can i get this from ??. I have just noticed a supplier called Zoomtak which on face value looks like a re-invention of Gostreamer, they have a model T8V, today I shall take a look.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The freaktabs forum is a good place for firmwares. Maybe your particular model is listed. But be very cautious. There is no guarantee that the firmware is compatible even if it is for the same processor. Worst thing is you could brick your device. Take a back up first.
Good luck.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Plug in a USB keyboard (or use any controller with a full QWERTY keyboard), try pressing the + sign when on the homescreen. On some models this calls a different function compared to the Volume Up button your remote likely has.

If you get system sounds (notifications etc) but there is never sound with videos/MP3s etc, then the other place to check is (exact route will depend on firmware's interface) Android Settings>Advanced/More Settings>Sound (/Audio)>Digital Sounds>look for sliders, make sure Media Volume is not at 0.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Hi - checked the Sliders are ALL Fully to the right. Pressing the + has no effect

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Latest up date -got the Gostreamer firmware off an old redundant site - installed no problem. BUT we still have no sound , so guess it's a hardware problem. seems this box is destined for the rubbish !!.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
That's a shame.
As a fallback, if you have bluetooth speaker and the box supports bt, see if you can send sound to it. Might work and saves buying a new box.

PS if you do buy a new box, check out the Droidbox range on the home page.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Sorry to say I haven't got a Bluetooth Speaker did try the USB (CM108) Spidf headphone set up, but that didn't work either.If I buy a new Box, will probably buy a Venz V10, locally , saves postage and delivery and I get it straight away.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Oh well, good luck.
I hope Venz offer the level of support that Droidbox do and have a user forum like this one.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Hi Guys - guess what - by default found the problem. Seems that the sound control on the remote appears to function , ie sliders move up and down, and show mute etc, but the actual sound output does not respond. Somehow I have got intermittent sound on full volume working, even with the slider in mute. and can control this from the T.V. vol control.
So any advice on how to fix this problem on the Android !!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
In android 6 (hopefully android 5.1 is similar) under settings - sounds - digital sounds, there are some settings relating to connection method i.e. auto detection, pcm, hdmi or spdif.
You don't want the last one unless you are using a home theatre. But you might want to play around with the other settings to see if it makes any difference.
Here's the funny thing though. The default on my box was PCM even though the connection is HDMI and everything works.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Hi - I haven't totally given up yet - but am getting pretty close to it.
here is my situation - I have sound on Video, Kodi etc, but the Sliders on the Android Box although moving around do not have any effect. My Vol has to be controlled via the Tv Remote.
Now another factor has emerged - I live in Portugal, so use a Smart DNS facility to enable me to view U.K. T.V, with this new configuration I seem to have lost the ability to change my ethernet to Static and thus add the DNS changes. I can do this on Wireless, but unfortunately this is no use as my signal is not strong enough for streaming. Any ideas on this one ?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I control volume using the TV remote so I don't think there is a problem as long as it all works.
No idea on the dns question sorry.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Thanks for your patience - in the end I installed LibrElec - means that I can only use Kodi, but at least it all works for now.

bicky

Jul 13, 2018
Finally resolved the problem - I found by accident that he USB Mouse ( an old VAIO ) which has the clam mic/ earphone facility for Skype etc was the problem. I have used this mouse for years without noticing that it would intermittently enable/disable Audio. Replaced this with a fresh mouse and now all working fine.

Reactions: ChrisM