wes

Nov 6, 2015
Hi all, purchased an m5 box as a 2nd box and setting it up here, but its not pocking up my sky fibre wifi (it is picking up a couple of bt 1's tho), in the same room my phone, tv and ps4 are picking up the wifi no problem. Any tips

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Please excuse the delay.
If you've got a smartphone, can you turn on (temporarily) the mobile hotspot feature. See if the DroidBOX can see and connect to that. If it can (or even before then), reboot your Sky modem/router. If it still the same, google the make and model of your modem/router with Sky and check if there is a firmware update available. There are other things you could do like try changing the channel width (might not be correct term, but same meaning) on your 5GHz network, but the Sky team would know their hardware better there.
Don't forget to turn off the mobile hotspot feature when you've finished testing with it.
If you could temporarily connect via a network cable, you could also install WiFi Analyzer - https://droidboxforums.com/threads/wifi-analyzer.83/ then turn on WiFi again, and check the scan results on both the 2 and 5GHz bands.

wes

Nov 6, 2015
Hi @SilentlyScreaming thank you for reply, yes it seems its my router/homec wifi is the problem, anything thats new doesnt seem to pick my wifi up, but things i had already set up are working on it. Tried the bandwith on router settings and visibility is on, ill check for firmware update. Thanks again for reply. (And just To confirm my actual m5 box is picking up wifi also thanks)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@wes Anything your ISP support team state takes precendence, but if you're comfortable changing the config of your modem/router, my first step would be lowering the security (temporarily!!!).
Set it to nothing, reboot modem/router, wait a few minutes, and see if your "new" devices can now see and connect to the network.
If they can, raise security to WEP on your WiFi (laughable "security" but for trouble shooting...). Check a still "new" device, and see if WEP password accepted. If it is, try upping WPA1 security (reboot, wait etc) and see if a still "new" (not connected to wifi yet) device can see and connect. If this somehow works, raise the security back to WPA2 on WiFi, recheck.
Oh, one final thing, only just clicked... check you don't have ANY type of MAC filtering going on there in the modem/router. Check with your manual/support docs, but if older devices were known MAC addresses, I can see how some devices now could be blocked out purely because their MAC isn't whitelisted.