EHTiger66

Mar 14, 2015
Last Night on kodi (Android Version),
i was trying to download from salts after running the OTA Update,
and would not write to a directory, that it had previous downloaded to(internal HD) !

so after looking on the forum it was recommend to run a program called SDfix
to enable the box to write to internal HD.
the program SDfix returned the error could not parse file (platform.xml)
after more google searching i opened the platform.xml in root explorer and it was blank (0 bytes),
i found another version on the droid box of platform.xml and tried to replace the file but to no avail
i even tried to edit the platform.xml and paste the contents of the other file but it would not save the changes.

i rebooted but it kept popping up with error and kodi was not seeing the internal hd and usb stick!

so i did a system reset but even though i go through the set up screen on boot,
no apps are working and i cannot connect to google play.
on looking in file browser i cannot see any files or folders,
when i did the system reset
it said "e: cannot load /misc"
see screenshot attached

so at the moment nothing is working

upon further inspection the platform.xml is still blank

Attachments

• 2016-10-21 21.47.58.jpg
    2016-10-21 21.47.58.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
Similar problems I think, but "e: cannot load /misc" is for me the least important.

I installed the new OS using OTA Updater earlier in the week. Initially things were Ok but then gradually various old and new problems appeared. Installed Wookie wizard on Android DBMC and LibreELEC and again this initially looked fine. Then the following occurred:

* First I connected to my Synology Diskstation (using Add Video Source/Browse/Add network location-SMB+server name+username+password). This connection worked ok but then every time I entered/exited the menu items I got the error message “Random and Last Items Script Error”. This occurred in both Android DBMC and LibreELEC. I turned off the GUI Sounds to avoid the annoying bong every time the error message appeared.

* Then I discovered that I was unable to run Backups in Android DBMC (LibreELEC Backups were ok). Errors: “Make sure the selected folder is writable”, “Write Error Detected”. This occurred for both the internal HDD drive and external USB drive. I had a similar problem with the previous OS so tried the solution of running NetApp SDFix/ES File Explorer but this did not work in this case. [What is the use of an internal HDD if you can't write to it??]

* Next I found that videos in LibreELEC were unwatchable. Both the picture and sound were jerky. Something I had not previously encountered.

* Next I found that when in LibreELEC/Wookie/XConfluence skin I couldn't get back to Android. I had to change the skin back to Confluence to find the “Switch to Android” option on the power button. I understand this is known issue but after switching between XConfluence and Confluence a few times many of the Thumbnail images on the home screen disappeared.

* Finally I carried out a factory delete/reset (using external restore button) and found the same as EHTiger66. The splash screen took ages to disappear, I got an error message there was no connection to Google Play and despite Ethernet being connected I could not get access to the internet or to any drives (internal, external or NAS drive).

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
Thanks Edwin. Good advice, but this doesn't solve the issue of unwritable drives or any of my other issues. I'm not expert enough understand the relevance or how to change the platform.xml file, I think I'd just like to re-flash back to the previous OS if that's still possible. I'll join you on the phone at 10am Monday morning!!

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
Edwin, You probably don't recall but we had exactly the same conversation regarding unwritable drives back in July.

As I mentioned in my long posting above: "I had a similar problem with the previous OS so tried the solution of running NetApp SDFix/ES File Explorer but this did not work in this case".

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
Edwin, You probably don't recall but we had exactly the same conversation regarding unwritable drives back in July.

As I mentioned in my long posting above: "I had a similar problem with the previous OS so tried the solution of running NetApp SDFix/ES File Explorer but this did not work in this case".

Yes Jim i remember now, it looks like we are all in the same boat with the new firmware and SDFIX, give Droidbox support a ring on Monday morning after 10am, am sure they will sort you out, as this is what i will be doing again, are you are still in your warranty?

Last edited:

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
I have the same problem, no lan after sdfix to try and get access to HDD, if anyone finds a fix I'm all ears.

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
I really hope this can be fixed without having to pay to send and receive the box :(
Had the box less than a week, surprised a factory reset doesn't fully reset.

If anyone reading this can possibly upload their "packages.xml" file to test a fix that would be much appreciated:

Android side: /data/system/packages.xml
OpenElec / LibreElec side: /storage/system/packages.xml

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
sorry, if someone can provide a platform.xml too that would be great!

Android: /etc/permissions/platform.xml
Open/Libre Elec: /flash/etc/permissions/platform.xml

Thanks

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
I got the internet working again by copying the platform.xml file from google - https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/data/etc/platform.xml

Not ideal as I would prefer to get the original droidbox version, so if anyone can provide that still that would be much appreciated.

But so far everything's working again on the android side.
Regarding the installed HDD, format on the Open/Libre elec side and chmod the root of the new drive 777, e.g.

chmod -R 777 /var/media/HDD #assuming HDD is the name of your drive, if you formatted on the shell and gave it a label then use that, e.g.

mkfs.ext4 -L MyCustomLabel /dev/sda1

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
not sure how to reinstall the firmware, is this different then the factory reset with a pin in the reset hole?

If it helps, I did do a factory reset (pin hole method) after wiping cache and data in the recovery menu

Mumblez

Oct 22, 2016
London
tried that, says no updates available (latest firmware so far)

Any chance you can provide your platform.xml?
(/etc/permissions/platform.xml on android side)

This would be ideal incase others run into this so they can replace that file with the official one.

sdfix zero'd it out and even the backup it makes was 0 bytes!!!
So that's the only file one needs to replace, ideally with the official file that someone here can provide.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
As I understand droidBOX are looking into these issues, and hopefully be resolved soon. It's just frustrating when these boxes go wrong and at a weekend.
Been trying to sort my audio issues, but ran out of ideas..

Reactions: sblabs

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
Have been in contact with Droidbox this morning. They provided me with a link to a revised version of the OS (with LibreELEC). I installed this from an SD card with "Apply update from EXT" in the recovery menu (and waited for some time for the Android apps to install from the server) and my box is up and running again. Note: for some reason you cannot apply an update from a USB drive.

Initial tests indicate the issue with “Random and last items script error” when connected to media on my NAS drive has now been fixed.

The problem with unwritable internal and external drives in Android still remains.

Must say that was excellent service from the Droidbox help team (Shah and Chris). Many thanks.

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
There were no instructions from Droidbox not to share, but I guess the shelf life is short. The link is
removed
https://ota.droidbox.co.uk/uploads/files/30-a5203e730384c68b172c4aa39cd07876.zip
As mentioned I used an SD Card, containing this zip file, with "Apply from EXT" in the recovery menu. Initially the installation did not include DBMC, kodi, ES File Explorer etc. but they appeared a short while later.

Good luck.

[edit]
mod removed URL for download, not for public sharing, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sblabs

Jim Mason

Jun 7, 2016
There were no instructions from Droidbox not to share, but I guess the shelf life is short. The link is removed
As mentioned I used an SD Card, containing this zip file, with "Apply from EXT" in the recovery menu. Initially the installation did not include DBMC, kodi, ES File Explorer etc. but they appeared a short while later.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot - that did the trick

Jim Mason

[edit]
mod removed URL for download, not for public sharing, sorry

Last edited by a moderator: