ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
I was baffled when I received an email from droidbox inviting me to buy a new iMX6 box at a reduced price. Really strange, when I had already emailed support saying the original one was not working the way I expected. Anyway, after 4 days of trying, (does it really take this long?) a screen suddenly appeared out of the darkness. I looked at settings and hit on another problem. How am I supposed to enter an alpha wi-fi password with the numeric remote which came with the box? I've tried 3 wireless keyboards (including the mini keyboard purchased separately) and 1 wired keyboard but, sadly, they appear to be incompatible with my Samsung TV. Have I wasted my money?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Plug any controller's USB dongles (or USB lead) into the DroidBOX, not the TV please. Any USB controller stands a good chance of working, quite a few have been tested by customers over the years.
If you're using the simple infra-red only remote control, upon entering a text field and clicking OK, an on screen keyboard should appear on any DroidBOX devices. If not, grab us for a live chat, or send a follow on email asking about turning off the hardware keyboard settings. That said, using a normal keyboard/controller with a QWERTY is so much easier.

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
Thanks for your advice, I am really grateful. I had not realised that I have to be within 1 metre for the remote to work, and I really don't mean to be unkind but it might be worth including this in the instructions. I am crouched over the TV with my remote and enjoying exploring the apps - picture quality is not great so far and I've had a bit of "script error" with some of the apps. If I buy the VIP remote, will it work straight away and can I get back to my sofa to operate it?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'll pass on your suggestion for the manual, thanks.
Re script errors, which add-ons or shortcuts lead to these within XBMC? Hopefully we'll be able to sort them out. I'd check out whether these work:
Genesis, Halow Live, Phoenix, TV Player, iStream
Re the VIP remote, it uses wireless signals, rather than InfraRed and the range will be better. You'll need to plug a USB dongle (supplied) into your iMX6, but it will work within 2/3 seconds of that, tops. Assuming batteries are inserted! Yes you'll be able to sit on your sofa with it.

Reactions: ianmcnair

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
Thanks for your reply! It'll take me a while to list all the script errors, but I will get round to it.

OK, the VIP remote has arrived, batteries are in, dongle is in. Nothing happening. The instruction says " Press the OK button and TV button at the same time after you have inser(ed) USB receiver into the USB port, the cursor can move swimmingly means the pairing is succeeded."

I press both buttons as instructed..the red light flashes. Where is the cursor? Arrow buttons don't seem to work either.
Oh dear.......nothing happening swimmingly, unfortunately.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re the VIP remote control, plug in the USB dongle to a Windows PC (that has an internet connection) and allow the drivers to install. Check you can move the cursor on your PC/laptop's screen, and then plug the dongle straight back into the DroidBOX device. Re batteries, it is worth using something like Duracell Ultra, as the cheaper ones either don't power up the remote at all (happened once with some batteries I purchased at a market), or they "run out" in 1 week.

Reactions: ianmcnair

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
Nothing happening - Episode 3

Well, I came back from holiday, decided to switch on the box and was greeted by the friendly blue light.

Then, nothing. Again. After 45 minutes of fiddling around with disconnecting, reconnecting, powering off and on in numerous combinations - nothing.

When I switch on, I expect it to work. This box doesn't.

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
Well, it's been a while since my last message. I thought I would wait until I could report that all was well and everything worked. Sadly, it STILL doesn't work. Am I the only person in the world that has this problem or will I just throw it in the bin? I'm reluctant to buy another one as I've lost all confidence in the brand.

Last edited:

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
Hi again. I emailed support, as suggested. The reply asked me to do a factory reset. That didn't work. They then sent me instructions on how to reflash. Had to buy an SD card which I think was more expensive than the box. Anyway, I followed the instructions and now my SD card is rattling around inside the box.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
A 4gb sd card should cost about £2.
Also it sounds like you bought a micro sd card. Possibly these boxes use a full size card. You can use or buy an adaptor. The micro card slots into that then into the sd card port on the box.

ianmcnair

Jun 8, 2015
No, mine used a micro. Anyway, I was asked to send the whole shebang back, but - crazy as it sounds - it's cheaper to buy a new one! Now then, if the new box doesn't work immediately, I'm not going to mess around with matchsticks and SD cards - I'll be sending it back for a full refund. Hey, let's be positive - nothing could possibly be as bad as the first box.