triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
Hi
We have had a T8 box since 2015 and it has been great. However, recently we have been unable to watch sport (not such a big problem) or movies (big problem!). We have been using Phoenix but this no longer seems to work and most other addons either dont work or are very slow/poor quality. I have done a search of the forums but am not sure what the answer is, it seems there may be a problem with Kodi? Our box is model no. K200, Android version 4.4.2, Build no. DroidBOX T8 24/04/2015. Do we need to update Kodi or is there some other addon that we can use?
We recently switched ISP providers but there are no filters/parental controls in place so its not that.
Thanks in advance.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There is nothing wrong with your box.
Many Kodi Addons have been removed (e.g. Phoenix) or are currently down due to the impact of a possible legal case against one of the main addon hosters. I believe things will largely resolve themselves in a few weeks but there is likely to be disruption until then. As I speak, a few of the main Addons are returning in new repositories.
In the meantime there are plenty of android apps which provide equivalent functionality both for sports and movies.

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for the reply, makes sense now. What are the best android apps for the movies and sport and how do I install them? (In very simple steps please, I'm not too tech savvy!!)
Thanks

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There are numerous ways.

This is how I would do it.
Register on the ares project forum.
Go to the section marked "android apks"
Find the entry for the "mft installer" and install it.
It is an alternative to google play store for less controlled apps.
Investigate content and download what you want. Trial and play around with the apps until you find things that work well for you.

You could also use droidbox market which should be pre- installed on your machine.

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
So I'm guessing I need to register on the ares forum using the web browser on the android box? I'm struggling to do this as I don't have a keyboard and am not too conversant with surfing the web through the T8 (never actually done this). Is there a youtube type video I could follow or some step by step instructions somewhere?

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
Struggling with this. Managed to register using the T8 with the cursor activated but I can't see the whole page and don't know how to page down! Any ideas?
Sorry for being a numpty!

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
OK managed to download the App and can now see the page with headings saying 'Recommended' Movies/TV 'Live TV' etc but can't get any further. I have openend the app in my AppInstaller, is that right?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Ok mr triumph
Select one of the headings.
For the app you want there should be a download icon on the right hand side of the screen.
From my recollection the app should then auto install.

I do it direct from the mft installer not the app installer

Tip: buy a proper keyboard/air mouse with keypad or use a pc mouse as a temporary measure

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for that.
I can see the downward arrows at the right hand side but dont seem to be able to get on it. I can move between the headings ok and if I turn on the cursor I can move down the various listings but nothing is opening. Is it because I'm in the AppInstaller? If so, how do I get the app somewhere I can access it directly?
Cheers

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for that.
I can see the downward arrows at the right hand side but dont seem to be able to get on it. I can move between the headings ok and if I turn on the cursor I can move down the various listings but nothing is opening. Is it because I'm in the AppInstaller? If so, how do I get the app somewhere I can access it directly?
Cheers

I click on the mft installer app directly to open it then navigate to the app i want to download.
I dont know aboutcthe app installer i never use it.
As i say if you are having trouble navigating using the supplied remote use a pc mouse if you have one.

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
OK I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens, wife is watching TV now so can't play anymore today! Does a PC mouse plug straight into the T8 box?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Yes, one of the USB ports. See if it works.
But you really should buy an air mouse or equivalent. The supplied remote is a totally frustrating experience.
have a look at the droidbox accessories page

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
Right, I've ordered a keyboard for the T8. Should be here, hopefully tomorrow and then the fun really starts!
Thanks for your help

Reactions: ChrisM

triumph5ta

Aug 17, 2014
OK the remote keyboard arrived, much much better! I still can't get the mft installer to work tho. I think I need to know how to actually install this app on my T8. If I look at 'my apps' there are things like 'TED' YouTube' ShowBox' etc but no mft installer. Can I download it to my T8 directly? Using the App Installer doesn't seem to work.