Martin1978

Mar 23, 2017
hi
I went to use my m8 tonight and nothing works through Kodi or internet browser! I thought perhaps it needs an update so I tried to do an update and it says "check failed!check your ota server agent" I then realised the time and date wasn't correct , so I checked my internet connection and it says it's connected! So I have it a reset and it's still not working any ideas?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
First thing, go into android date and time settings and make sure that the option to use automatic date and time is ticked. At any rate, reset to be correct time.
When you return to android do things now work (with the correct time).
I am not aware of any recent Droidbox ota or firmware update for the m8 model - as far as I know it has not been sold by them for several years. how old is your box?
What version of Kodi or DBMC (Droidbox media centre) are you running? You can update these, limited by the version of android on your box (Kodi 17 needs android 5 or later). Report back and we can advise on next steps.

It would also be good if you could define "not working". What isn't working? Android apps like YouTube, Google , iplayer? Kodi? Do you get any error messages? What behaviour do you observe?

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokingElectronics

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Wierd - I had problems last night with my T8 Mini. Date and time set to january 2015 for some reason. Nothing worked. Re-set time settings to automatic and its all normal again. I did swap out me router though but the time and date thing did sort it.

Martin1978

Mar 23, 2017
First thing, go into android date and time settings and make sure that the option to use automatic date and time is ticked. At any rate, reset to be correct time.
When you return to android do things now work (with the correct time).
I am not aware of any recent Droidbox ota or firmware update for the m8 model - as far as I know it has not been sold by them for several years. how old is your box?
What version of Kodi or DBMC (Droidbox media centre) are you running? You can update these, limited by the version of android on your box (Kodi 17 needs android 5 or later). Report back and we can advise on next steps.

It would also be good if you could define "not working". What isn't working? Android apps like YouTube, Google , iplayer? Kodi? Do you get any error messages? What behaviour do you observe?

Thanks for your reply, it is on automatic date, i didn't manually change it as i couldnt connect to the internet! My box said it was connected , and my phone works fine through the same internet connection. i tired the internet browser, even play store but it just wouldn't connect. I was running wookie, and i first noticed the problem when i tried to watch one of the series i am in to, it came up with the box set / the season and which episode, but never showed a stream, i tried other box sets, films, and even sport and it couldnt find a stream! Also everytime i used to go into wookie, i would get lots of updates which never happened! The box is approx 2 years old and came from droidsticks. I am totally baffled as to why its not working! Has service providers started to block these boxes now? I am currently on BT!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I've read recently that many ISPs have unilaterally imposed controls even where they had previously been switched off. I would check BT smart set up again (from the box itself) and ensure it is all unset. Can you try an Ethernet connection to do this if you cannot get to the router via wifi?
Btw Droidsticks (now entertainment box) are a separate company to Droidbox whose forum this is. Can still try and help you though.

Martin1978

Mar 23, 2017
I've read recently that many ISPs have unilaterally imposed controls even where they had previously been switched off. I would check BT smart set up again (from the box itself) and ensure it is all unset. Can you try an Ethernet connection to do this if you cannot get to the router via wifi?
Btw Droidsticks (now entertainment box) are a separate company to Droidbox whose forum this is. Can still try and help you though.
Whoops i didnt check when i googled, but all help would be appreciated, i will give that a whirl tonight. thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Think BT is the key fact here.
I'm fairly certain if you try and visit this forum in the Browser app on your device, you'll instead see a BT logo.
Get Started
No, you don't want Parental Controls
On newer modems (newer fw?) they also offer you some downloads, up to you if you'd like to accept, but I think they are EXEs for Windows, not APKs for Android.
Once this is done, no need to login on the next screen offered

BT's Smart Setup is the main culprit here, until that is completed, your DroidBOX doesn't have full internet access.

A new modem, modem firmware update, OTA with data reset on the DroidBOX or a straight factory reset on the DroidBOX would all likely require you to re-visit this forum to trigger BT's smart setup procedure.