sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Can Openelec be installed and run on a T8 v3, anyone any hints

27mark

Aug 10, 2015
ive not seen any openelec firmware for the t8, but i did wonder if the t8 could be flashed with the t8 s making it dual boot for openelec

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Am basically trying to put more than 1 version of kodi with a different wizards on this box as there is plenty of free memory, but 1 version of kodi just overwrites the other. Have used wookie 15 also but am not too keen on the build. Has anyone managed to get say 14.2 and 15.2 on the T8 v3?

Mogalot55

Oct 15, 2015
Is it in any way better to use openelec than Android? I dont know the distinction between the two?

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Android has back ground apps running so can slow down kodi.
Openelec is separate to android so no back ground apps so you normally get better results and smoother play back.
Thats why when you switch over it has to shut down and reboot....

Brizzle

Nov 7, 2015
OpenELEC is a massively cut-down Linux operating system designed purely to run Kodi and nothing else, so as Dave says, all resources (processor, memory, network bandwidth) of the Droidbox are channeled into Kodi instead of being allocated to various other apps as they are in Android.

I've found buffering is almost non-existent in OpenELEC and generally it's faster to respond, but it's not as well-supported as Android in general (so far, but I'm more than happy with it to date).

Here's a link to an installation guide: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Dual_Boot

I haven't tried it (no need so far) but, as it will install on pretty much any PC I might build one in the future just to try it out.