Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi,
I've recently had an update to bbc iplayer - version 4.16.2.1133.
On my t8 which has up to date firmware, I've found that image quality is very poor with lots of pixellation. I've noticed several people have reported similar problems on Google play . I reported the problem to bbc iplayer support who say they have not had any other reports of a similar problem. Previous version worked fine.

Can someone please carry out a test to see if they get similar issues? The web version seems ok so I will use that in the interim.

Many thanks

(The bbc will of course claim it is running on an unsupported machine if I mention an android tv box in my report to them).

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I have done the bbc iplayer update on both the T8 and T8-S Plus, works perfect on t8-s plus but getting same problems
as you are on the t8 also with up to date firmware, like you said lots of pixellation, it is fine on the t8-s plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks Angela. At least it is not just me. If you get the time can you report it to the iplayer support site - there's a web form you fill in. Tell them you have an "android tv box" i doubt they know what a t8 is :)

If anyone else sees this problem please also report it. The more reports they get the more likely they are to fix it.

You can create a shortcut to the web version on your home page so you can still access iplayer via the web as opposed to the app.

Reactions: angela

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi Nigelar, I have reported it on the support site, been looking at it and when you open iplayer
and select menu then settings, then uncheck share statisitics you get a better picture on the t8.
Don't no if you will but give it a try.

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, What i have also found on some channels is when you select it and it's a bad picture
stop it and go back to iplayer homescreen then reselect it and some channels play fine.
like you said very strange.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I found some shows playback ok and some others are still pixelated with the "send stats" switched off. I had assumed that somehow iplayer thinks the t8 is a mobile phone and is configuring a phone size picture which looks crap on a larger tv screen. Sometimes you wish they wouldnt "improve" these apps.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Update 26/2/16.

BBC Iplayer said android tv boxes not supported (as predicted).
However, I found another better solution to using the web version.
Some sites out there store archive versions of apk files.
The following site has previous versions of bbc iplayer.

http://www.apk20.com/apk/90317/

I downloaded the version from 25 Jan which i know to be working and installed (removed official version first).
It works ok. Ensure you do not accept the request to download a later version or you will be back to square one.

Obviously downloading from an unofficial site entails some risk but that's a decision for you if you are experiencing this problem (in my case on a T8, angela says T8S is ok)

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
They have definitely upped their game has the Beeb... The Kodi add-on, iPlayer www, still works with some tweaking however, you have to set the live stream bitrate to 1.7mb. Picture quality reduces It's self to 540dpi instead of the 720p.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Further information taken from the iPlayer www Kodi forum...

The BBC has removed the ability to stream in HD permanently as they switch to HLS.
Even through their website and Iplayer, there are no options for HD live content. Only catch-up is available in HD.
Talking about going backwards...
BBC site:
Why can't I select the Video Quality (HD) setting anymore?

We’ve made improvements to the video playback protocol in iPlayer on some TV devices. This protocol means that programme playback will adapt to the speed of your internet connection. At present Live streaming for Smart TVs set-top boxes, Games Consoles and Blu-Ray devices is only available in Standard definition.

This means if you’re using a device that supports HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) you can chose to get the best quality video that your internet speed can support.

If your TV supports HLS and you use the iPlayer TV App. Then you will notice the HD switch has been removed from the iPlayer control bar. You can now choose to get the Best Quality video available and you can set this by going to Settings as you can see below, from this menu you should choose Video Quality:

Not clever Beeb... Not clever...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk