Hesse2509

Sep 29, 2016
I am looking at taking the plunge on a new iMXQ Pro 4k, as it appears to be one of the better budget boxes on the market,and I'm particularly impressed with the warranty and support from Droidbox. I was just wondering if any current users of the kit might be able to answer some questions?

1. As far as I can make out the box comes with DBMC fully configured. Does this mean that DBMC already has a load of streaming add ons installed, with the separate Kodi installation effectively being a 'blank canvas' install to be configured however you wish?

2. Is it possible to use the on board storage to record live streams? I'm thinking about sporting events in the US that might screen in the early hours UK time, that I would want to watch the next day rather than live. If so, is the 8Gb storage sufficient; is the capability already installed; or do I need to install further apps or add-ons?

3. If recording is possible, is it reliable?

Any help from those that have used this specific box would be greatly appreciated.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hello and welcome hesse.

In answer to your questions.

Droidboxes do not come configured with addons. That's something you do yourself either by adding addons manually or by using a wizard like wookie. (see this:
http://wookiespmc.com/how-to-install-wookie-wizard-zip/ )

Dbmc is a variant of kodi developed by droidbox for their machines. Like kodi, it is an empty pallette. There are sound legal reasons for taking this approach as will be evident when the results of a current court case are known

The imxq pro cannot natively record streams. That is consistent with the vast majority of android boxes.

You can download stuff though - although on board storage would be a limitation. Plus you would need the permission of the copyright owner.

Reactions: David Savage

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
+1 on all the above.

If you have any required permissions, and can be around for the start of the video stream, then something like
could help (other screen recording applications are available) for recording late night events.

If you're going to be recording lots, I'd consider a 16Gb model, something like the T8 Mini at https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-t8-mini-amlogic-s905-openelec-pro-best-kodi-xbmc-tv-box.html
However, if you've got storage devices and don't mind moving files around, you should be OK with 8Gb still.