john winn

Jan 22, 2016
Hi all, is it just me or did anyone else naively assume there would be a record button (or similar) on the T8 remote to send the onscreen content to disk? I have been searching this forum for how to do it and I get the bit about pointing certain add-ons to the disk but streaming content to disc (when legal) seems not possible. I'm no techy and clearly it's not as easy as I thought but is this something that's out of the question with say a program running in background that can point the stream to the disk as well as the hdmi?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I've never heard of it or seen such a feature advertised. That said it may be possible. Maybe check the wider internet to see if these boxes support pvr (personal video recorder) capability.

john winn

Jan 22, 2016
Yes it was no doubt my naivety as I said. It would be pretty popular if it was available though ;)

Tractorboy

Jan 29, 2016
There are various screen recorder apps in the Google Play store. Might be worth trying some of those.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

dadlington

Jul 16, 2015
Try downloading on show box I find it works a treat... If you have Hard Drive save to hard drive using a file manager. ...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Try downloading on show box I find it works a treat... If you have Hard Drive save to hard drive using a file manager. ...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A few apps and addons support downloading of streamed films/tv shows to hdd and other media. But I'm not certain if there is anything out there that does live TV if that is what John is after?

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi all, is it just me or did anyone else naively assume there would be a record button (or similar) on the T8 remote to send the onscreen content to disk? I have been searching this forum for how to do it and I get the bit about pointing certain add-ons to the disk but streaming content to disc (when legal) seems not possible. I'm no techy and clearly it's not as easy as I thought but is this something that's out of the question with say a program running in background that can point the stream to the disk as well as the hdmi?
Hi

We do not built any of the screen recording apps at the moment.When it comes to offline content my recommendation is to use download feature because of better FPS on high quality videos while you can download any recording app from the google play store when it comes to recording any type of live session that you like!

Regards

john winn

Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for all your replies. Yes i have used Phoenix to download movies which is good but I really would like to be able to record live content as Nigelar suggested. The session record apps are i reckon too clunky for regular use and mean i have to use Android rather than Openelec. Its a lot to ask but i think its the only thing really lacking to replace PVR from the major providers.

john winn

Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for all your replies. Yes i have used Phoenix to download movies which is good but I really would like to be able to record live content as Nigelar suggested. The session record apps are i reckon too clunky for regular use and mean i have to use Android rather than Openelec.

john winn

Jan 22, 2016
On a related topic i thought of recording via the phono outputs of the Droidbox into a PVR but i dont seem to be getting any output from these in Openelec. Is there something else I need to do to enable these?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
No, the older phono/RCA outputs aren't supported by the openELEC OS. Also, you'd have quite low quality video to record that way.

If add-ons don't have the facility, the only other option within openELEC I can think of would be having something like this - http://www.diamondmm.com/gc1000-diamond-usb-game-console-video-capture-device.html . There are newer models available, with USB3 and 60Hz recording at 1080, but that's the type of hardware I use if I'm recording for a YouTube video etc. The HDMI signal passes through the box, gets sent on to your TV/monitor but also to your PC via a USB lead. You can then record that video stream (or just take static screenshots).

PLEASE NOTE:
The above is just a personal observation and sharing the hardware I use, it is not in any way an official DroidBOX recommendation of specific hardware.
Also, make sure you have permission to view/record any streams, DroidBOX recommend checking local regulations first.