stevengw

Apr 11, 2018
hi all,

I've had this box now for a while, nearly 2 years. I have never used libreELEC or Kodi or the droidbox own version of kodi. My question is, could somebody create a android image without all these installed, or guide me to where i can get and android image without all the bling.
i would like to free up some memory, and do not like all the negativity surrounding kodi, so would just like my droidbox to be a droidbox.

thanks

stevengw

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The real question is why?
Both kodi - which is an app and librelec which is effectively an operating system specifically tuned for kodi consume so little system resource or memory that removal would achieve little.
At any rate, kodi (and dbmc) running on android are easily removed, the same as any app, by going into android- system - apps, finding the app and uninstalling it.

Removing libreelec is more difficult and would require finding and loading a new android only firmware. I would not recommend this since there is a very high risk of bricking your box. You could search the freaktabs site for an android image but you would need to be very careful you find a compatible one and more importantly, find a version of android that runs on the processor type found on your box e.g. some processors do not supprt android 6, or 7 etc.

So my advice which you are free to ignore, is that the exercise (other than removing the android kodi and dbmc apps if you must) is a complete waste of time and you could well end up with a broken box.

stevengw

Apr 11, 2018
Here is the major reason why.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/ne...ces-in-HUGE-Sky-Sports-and-BT-Sport-CRACKDOWN

And as I said I don't use Kodi, I'd far rather have my box dual boot to a Linux distribution or a retro gaming system and a newer version of android than suffer with 3 installs on my droidbox I don't use.
Kodi is dead and just warrants trouble.
I use my droidbox as a pc on my TV.
I also use it with virgin media's app and other British TV apps.
I also want to use it as a retro gaming system for 80s games but so far haven't had much luck setting up, configuring and using the supplied joy pad or any other.
I've also gave up on using a HD with this device, it's wrecked 2 so far. Wish I'd tried an HD within warranty period because I'd have returned it without even a thought.
So wouldn't it be better fixing the HD system and upgrading the android system than constantly ramming new versions of Kodi down our throats in its various disguises..
The way I see it for now is the box is broken already, it has an old android system and a useless Kodi system the law is dead against. So what have I got to loose by trying to find a better use of the hardware before it ends up in bin after less than 2 years use without any updates to its android system, just Kodi!

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
As a matter of interest, how do you use your android box with "virgin media's app" (I assume you mean the Virgin TV Go app) as by design, hdmi out had been blocked by the developers?