David Carter

Nov 2, 2016
I have 2 minis and one reboots itself randomly while the other crashes, the time doesn't change on the front, there is no hdmi output and I cannot connect to the box over sash when crashed. Please help, I've looked at the logs and can't find anything definitive causing the reboots. Is there a way I can make openelec output the syslog to an ssh console to see if anything is logged when a crash happens.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Have you checked the systems memory as it might be nearly full.
If it is you could try and clear unwanted downloads or files.
The other is to do a factory reset which will take your box back to a fresh start.
After you do this you will need to wait 15 mins so all apps install, don't power off during this time.
As for logs I'm not sure...

David Carter

Nov 2, 2016
Output from openelec ssh for disk usage
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 748.9M 110.8M 638.2M 15% /dev
/dev/system 1.5G 1.1G 376.0M 74% /flash
/dev/data 11.3G 2.6G 8.7G 23% /storage
/dev/loop0 110.9M 110.9M 0 100% /
tmpfs 873.5M 0 873.5M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 873.5M 6.4M 867.1M 1% /run
tmpfs 873.5M 0 873.5M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 873.5M 344.0K 873.2M 0% /var
tmpfs 873.5M 0 873.5M 0% /tmp
I only have a few addons installed like Emby for Kodi and a different skin

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've had to google this (outside of what I'm familiar with already), but

Code:
tail -f <log-file>

should give a "live-view of an existing log-file (new added data will be shown directly and automatically scroll down)"
Taken from http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Ssh_commands#Advanced_usage (scroll down a little)

either give the full path or run it from the Kodi log directory

If that doesn't work, it might be an idea to post over at http://openelec.tv/forum and see if they have ideas in a different direction to get a live log view on another device.

[edit]
Looks like DavidC will know to swap out with proper filename above, but for anyone visiting this thread in the future, kodi.log is likely the name of the log file you're after, think it is in /storage/.kodi/

David Carter

Nov 2, 2016
thanks, i figured that bit out and was watching the kodi log but got no errors when it crashed it just dropped the ssh connection and the screen went blank, no output. the box still responds to the power button on the remote and powers off then powers back on and boots fine, it often seems to crash 3 to 4 times in quick succession then behaves fine for hours before crashing again a few times. are there any hardware logs i can watch to see if anything else is causing the issues.

David Carter

Nov 2, 2016
tried restarting into into android last night but does the same thing so i think it is faulty hardware, will be returning it through amazon and getting a replacement.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
tried restarting into into android last night but does the same thing so i think it is faulty hardware, will be returning it through amazon and getting a replacement.
Please contact us through phone/email/live chat message us/mention this thread and provide order ID.We will make sure to reply as soon as possible and provide you guidance for replacement.

Regards

David Carter

Nov 2, 2016
being a prime customer with amazon i got a replacement next day, i have a slight issue with the new box, is there a way in openelec to force it to use hdmi video only as when cec turns off my amp and tv on screensave activation the box keeps swapping back and forth between the outputs then when reactivated it settles on the wrong one so have no video output. thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@David Carter
Can you try this from the homescreen:
System
System
Input Devices
Peripherals
Click the CEC adapter entry
For now, just click the top "Enabled" entry so the circle is grey
OK
Reboot for good measure

If that works, you can either leave it at that, or re-enable the same line, then check which of the options below achieve the same result, without disabling everything.