Interim Lovers

Nov 8, 2020
I'd like to get a handheld emulator for playing 8-bit games (mainly SMS but also ZX Spectrum). The RG351P was recommended to me because I'm not very technical and it seems to come preloaded with everything needed for it to work straight out of the box, without the need to install firmware, emulators or even games.

I've looked into it and the RG350 actually looks more appealing to me because it's more affordable, includes an HDMI out and possibly has a screen resolution more appropriate for gaming in a 4:3 aspect ratio. However, I get the impression it requires much more set-up than the RG351P.

Can anyone who has experience with both machines give me any advice here, please? Will the RG350 allow me to play all my favourite Sega Master System games straight out of the box or is it more convenient to get the RG351P, despite the extra cost and lack of HDMI out?

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
I can't quite remember if the RG350 comes with an SMS emulator installed straight out of the box - but honestly I'd reccomend the RG350P over the original RG350 because in the event that you want to play around with firmware/etc., it's much easier to do so.
The original RG350 had the problem of the boot SD card being entirely inaccessible unless you removed the back of the device. On subsequent models, the boot SD card is always accessible (via an external slot)

In any case however, the original RG350 devices are no more complex than just dragging and dropping files onto the SD card at a basic level. People tend to get intimidated because of the (basic yet functional) user interface, but it's really very simple once you actually attempt to work with it.

Interim Lovers

Nov 8, 2020
From what I can tell, the 350 comes with a Megadrive/Genesis emulator that will run Master System games. Think I'm going to go with the 350, rather than the 350P as cost is a factor and it's quite a bit cheaper, particularly as it's on sale right now. I may want to fiddle with the firmware to get the HDMI port working but will cross that bridge when I come to it.