MrVig

May 22, 2020
Hello! I just got my RG350M and everything seemed perfect until I noticed two things

1) A much lesser issue, my X button has a Y button instead, still works totally fine, just found it odd.

2) It seems sometimes when I "wake" my unit when it's screen goes off a while, the edges of the screen looks like it has a line of bad pixels, somtimes it's red, somtimes it's green, and even a little flickering from that particular side of the screen. It goes away if I just play with the unit for a while, maybe like 4-5 minutes and the screen returns to normal, and this doesn't seem to ever happen if I just leave the unit powered off or during actual use.

I may not have the latest firmware since I don't have the HDMI functionality. So I don't know if updating it would help, but if some can enlighten me on what's going and if maybe I have a defective unit.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
To confirm, the buttons do not XABY on them? There are two Y buttons?

I have not seen this issue or heard about it before. Does it do the same when switch on from a full boot, or only when from sleep mode? Updating the firmware will probably not fix this, but it is worth a try. You can find the guide to update at https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/how-to-update-rg350-and-rg350m-firmware-with-opk/

MrVig

May 22, 2020
To confirm, the buttons do not XABY on them? There are two Y buttons?

I have not seen this issue or heard about it before. Does it do the same when switch on from a full boot, or only when from sleep mode? Updating the firmware will probably not fix this, but it is worth a try. You can find the guide to update at https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/how-to-update-rg350-and-rg350m-firmware-with-opk/

THat is correct, I have two Y buttons, so now my buttons are "YYBA". The screen issue has never presented itself other than coming out of sleep mode, and it's not always. Full booting the unit doesn't resolve the issue as it seems only actively using it causes the issue to resolve itself. I have update using the OPK and I guess I'll have to let it sit in sleep mode to see if it comes up again.

Edit: Issue is still present after leaving it in sleep mode for about 5 minutes. And like before, just using the unit eventually makes the issue seem like it never happened.

Edit 2: Further update, tried just leaving the unit off when the issue occurred to see if it does anything and looks like the issue resolves itself then too. It appears whatever it is, it's definetly caused by the sleep mode, and just time passing outside of sleep mode fixes it.

Attachments

• 99266980_240673770372874_8300256747445026816_n.jpg
    99266980_240673770372874_8300256747445026816_n.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

MrVig

May 22, 2020
Now that I finally got my replacement I've learned a few things.

1. The sleep issue is still present in this unit.
  2. It occurs under these conditions:
  • After the unit has gone to sleep for at least 1 minute or so, the "burn" effect begins to appear and becomes more severe over time.
  • This seems to be lessened in severity if you press any the power button instead of other buttons.
  • This also varies in severity based on how bright your theme is. Namely around the edges of the screen. The more vibrant the edges are in your theme, the more likely this will occur with increased severity.
  • Pressing the reset button after a long sleep mode also causes this effect to happen.
I had a much darker theme present via "esoteric" front end UI, and if I tapped the power button, the issue doesn't appear at all, when I used other buttons to wake it, one side would have the weird burn effect. But when I swapped to a brighter one, waking it up, even with the power button, it had major burn effect all around the edges of the screen, it was no longer on one side like it usually is.

Despite this, I'm wondering if this is present in other RG350m units as this is my replacement, and even on day one, testing with only the Gmenu2x and waking it, the original burn effect was identical. I don't believe this is a hardware issue, but maybe something wrong with the firmware itself, but not due to faulty SD card and the like, but just how the OS handles waking the unit is incompatible with how the screen wants to function. If the unit goes to sleep mode, it is powered off by esoteric (it has an auto-shutdown feature after a certain amount of minutes), there are no issues as well.

I don't intend on sending this back, but hopefully, someone can enlighten me. Unless I'm just really unlucky.

Jobin

Jul 12, 2020
Now that I finally got my replacement I've learned a few things.

1. The sleep issue is still present in this unit.
  2. It occurs under these conditions:
  • After the unit has gone to sleep for at least 1 minute or so, the "burn" effect begins to appear and becomes more severe over time.
  • This seems to be lessened in severity if you press any the power button instead of other buttons.
  • This also varies in severity based on how bright your theme is. Namely around the edges of the screen. The more vibrant the edges are in your theme, the more likely this will occur with increased severity.
  • Pressing the reset button after a long sleep mode also causes this effect to happen.
I had a much darker theme present via "esoteric" front end UI, and if I tapped the power button, the issue doesn't appear at all, when I used other buttons to wake it, one side would have the weird burn effect. But when I swapped to a brighter one, waking it up, even with the power button, it had major burn effect all around the edges of the screen, it was no longer on one side like it usually is.

Despite this, I'm wondering if this is present in other RG350m units as this is my replacement, and even on day one, testing with only the Gmenu2x and waking it, the original burn effect was identical. I don't believe this is a hardware issue, but maybe something wrong with the firmware itself, but not due to faulty SD card and the like, but just how the OS handles waking the unit is incompatible with how the screen wants to function. If the unit goes to sleep mode, it is powered off by esoteric (it has an auto-shutdown feature after a certain amount of minutes), there are no issues as well.

I don't intend on sending this back, but hopefully, someone can enlighten me. Unless I'm just really unlucky.

I was playing a ps4 game, exited the game and went to the menu (game select) and put the unit down and fell asleep. Woke up and the green light was still on. Unot didn't appear warm. On waking the unit, there's a very bad burn in around the screen, more prominent at the top center and bottom center edge. Switching games, rebooting, powering off and back on doesn't appear to impart any change. There is also a flicker, almost as if the refresh rate has slowed and is visible. It's incredibly bad and unplayable in my opinion. I ordered in March and my unit only just arrived in the beginning of June. This is a total bummer. Hopefully Retro Mimi will replace it.