STLegend

Jun 12, 2020
We are looking into this handheld. If we do sell it we should have a sub forum here for it.

Hi Dave, I like you guys as a supplier and bought my RG300 from you and have recommended you to friends because of the service you get.

Be careful with this. They have not only cloned the Odroid Go Advance circuit board made by HardKernel. The really naughty bit is they have kept the SPI Flash which means every time the RK2020 boots up it displays a HardKernel logo briefly and this could possibly be trouble in the future.

Also they were sending out early units with EmuElec without the developers permission (which they have now made a point of on the website that it comes with no firmware). I have since read that developers of firmware for the Odroid Go Advance are going to block the RK2020 using future versions or updates of their firmware and possibly even locking the device via the SPI Flash. I have had a brief exchange of comments with the developer of Retro Arena in a group and he has confirmed they will not develop in the future for this device and were sent one before release for this purpose.

Phil Graham

May 13, 2020
But most emulation devices are clones of others. I know that the RK2020 is a clone of the Odroid Go Advance. However it seems hard to obtain one and they keep running out of stock. The RK2020 runs out of the box unlike the OGA which you have build yourself and flash an image for it to work, not everyone has the skills to put one together.

STLegend

Jun 12, 2020
Phil, it's fine to clone a circuit board design but to not change the flash so it still comes up with the HardKernel logo is taking the piss. I had light bleed issues with mine and after an hour of game play the back of the device was really heating up. Funnily enough got a large partial refund from the seller once my issue was logged via PayPal. Sold it on. Also the newer ones sent out no longer come with EmuElec and so you do have to flash your own image. Don't get me wrong it looked better than the OGA and the buttons and D-pad were better but both devices have their faults. Plenty of power but no thought to build quality.

This is why I have purchased the RG350M for anything up to PS1 and have my Moto Play with mod controller for Dreamcast and N64 for now. I think we will see something decent from China towards the end of the year and it will likely be Anbernic who get it right.

Reactions: gareth.uk and admin

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Agree with STLegend, quality for both is so so. We tried to source the OGA from Hardkernel, but their wholesale prices are dramatic, and often out of stock.

JusR23

Jul 15, 2020
I bought one as I couldn’t get hold of a OGA Black Edition (got it yesterday) and I can confirm it came with EmuELEC on the supplied SD card.

gareth.uk

Jul 28, 2020
I couldn't support a company that has been so brazen and half-arsed about ripping off someone else's work to such a degree that they didn't even create their own firmware and I'm happy to see you guys taking a similar stand. There's being inspired, then there's copying and then there's what these guys have done and essentially rebadging an existing product.

On the plus side, as the soon-to-be former owner of an OGA Black Edition (my eBay listing ends in a couple of days), I find the hardware seriously over-rated anyway. Runs Dreamcast and N64, you say? Well I suppose the games boot so the statement is technically true, but I only found a couple of games that ran at an acceptable level. I don't consider "slideshow" to be an acceptable framerate, personally. And if you write off Dreamcast and N64, what you're left with are the 16-bit-and-below machines plus PSone, which the RG350 can emulate in a much nicer, much more professional-looking package.