jjk9

Nov 7, 2015
Just got mine that I won as a prize on the Droidbox facebook page. Overall I'm enjoying playing with it but it has some problems that will hopefully be fixed with a custom firmware that is in development, so I withhold judgement until I can try it. It looks good and is comfortable to play.

Positives:
Good screen size, very clear.
Easy controls, joystick fun to use.
Many games to choose from that run fine.
Ability to add more games via sd card.
Loud speaker.
Multiple controllers, multiplayer support.

Negatives:
Poor diagonal directional control, might get fixed in a custom firmware (CFW).
Some games run slow, cpu not fast enough/poor software. Might improve with CFW.
Terrible tv output, looks extremely blurry. Might look better on an old crt tv.
Games are not in alphabetical order, hard to find the game you want.
Not enough systems emulated, fixed in CFW when it releases.
Volume control hardly works with the speaker, works fine with headphones.

Last edited:

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
The custom firmware is currently in testing, it should not be too far away. Regarding the ROMs not being in alphabetical order, on the custom firmware you will have them in alphabetical order. They already display in alphabetical order, but for some reason the manufacturers put numbers before the names (maybe their favourites) so they go in that numerical order, adding your own will be alphabetical. Custom firmware will have many more systems emulated and improved performance.

TV output is via RCA so it will always be lower quality than HD, more SD quality.

I did not have any issues with the arcade joystick, but I do have a self built arcade at home so I spend a lot of time on it. Arcade sticks take a little getting used to compared to a D-Pad for example.

jjk9

Nov 7, 2015
The custom firmware is currently in testing, it should not be too far away. Regarding the ROMs not being in alphabetical order, on the custom firmware you will have them in alphabetical order. They already display in alphabetical order, but for some reason the manufacturers put numbers before the names (maybe their favourites) so they go in that numerical order, adding your own will be alphabetical. Custom firmware will have many more systems emulated and improved performance.

TV output is via RCA so it will always be lower quality than HD, more SD quality.

I did not have any issues with the arcade joystick, but I do have a self built arcade at home so I spend a lot of time on it. Arcade sticks take a little getting used to compared to a D-Pad for example.
That's good to hear about the custom firmware, looking forwards to trying it.
I wasn't expecting HD quality tv output, it's just that what I did get was very blurry compared to what's on the devices own screen that it's not worth playing. I don't know if it's due to the tv's scaling doing a poor job (4k tv) as this is the first RCA cable I have plugged into this tv. I'll do some experiments to see if I can improve the picture any.
Finally I wasn't very clear in my post about the joystick so I changed it. It works fine except for diagonally up. It's either left, up, right except for a very small spot when it's actually diagonal. diagonally down works fine and the spot for diagonal is much larger and as expected. It's still easy to play so i'm not complaining and it might be improved in the CFW.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
I tried it on a 4K tv as well and it is part of the reason why the quality is not good, its is displaying something like 256x224 to 512x448 (SNES resolution) on a 3840 x 2160 display, combined with RCA quality the end result would not be good. You wouldn't be able to improve the quality a great deal, you could try changing the resolution to say 480p, it would still look mushy but less so I would guess.

Edit - As a side note, I collect retro consoles and just about all of them are similar quality on a 4K TV if they use RF or RCA connections. Scart gives better quality but not all supported it by default. If the console supported RGB output (either by default or modification) then you can use a Scart cable with an upscaler like OSSC to get some amazing quality pixel graphics up to 1080p.

The photo is my recently acquired Atari Jaguar (around 320x240 output) with the OSSC upscaler hardware outputting it at 1080p. Pixel perfect :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_192348.jpg
    IMG_20181018_192348.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

psj3809

Oct 20, 2018
Got mine on Friday. Impressed by it. Granted diagonal top left can be a bit funny and some games the sound is dodgy. A few are slightly too fast or slow hit the vast majority are fine

Added a few FBA files on an SD card which works well. Couldn’t add 1943 as the orientation was the wrong way

Looking forward to a proper MAME emulator. Please let me know once the firmware comes out

Well worth the money. Love the old skool Grandstand tabletop type look

Strider

Oct 28, 2018
Hi Guys, I got mines in and also have the diagonal problem, I took it apart and move the joystick without the stick , just the nub and the diagonal works, so what I did was I took sandpaper and roll it up and sand the hole for the joystick bigger and Bang it works.
"WARNING" don't do it too much or your have a big hole. or wait for firmware if there is one to make the movement for diagonal minimal.