palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
Hi should I be turning off my droid box by the amins at nite???
I always shut it down properly but at nite a turn the plug of so there isnt even a red laight??
Will it do it any harm????
or should I leave it on stand by

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
DROIDBOX: What should you do? Turn off entirely overnight, saves a few pennies over a year as well (no red LED glowing on front or any other active components).

CHRIS: What do I do at home? Never get around to it, have multiple devices plugged in 24/7, though not actually turned on, and not had any problems yet.

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
DROIDBOX: What should you do? Turn off entirely overnight, saves a few pennies over a year as well (no red LED glowing on front or any other active components).

CHRIS: What do I do at home? Never get around to it, have multiple devices plugged in 24/7, though not actually turned on, and not had any problems yet.

For me its nothing to do with "saving pennies" ....its purely a safety thing for me as in if its off nothing can happen . Probly due to 20+ years in the fire service.
Makes one a bit paranoid about things plugged in but not in use lol .

Reactions: Nigelar

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I keep them plugged in all the time and not had any problems on five different boxes.

I understand the safety issue of this, but i use a surge protector extension lead.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
I have a special power supply that the energy place gave me, I just turn off my stereo system and the power supply is off.

I have a 60inch plasma TV so I have to power everything off . It's a huge energy hog but plasma TV color range compared to the led and others is so much more vivid and bright all the color range no mixing like leds have to combine colors like yellow for example

It's also sweet for when my box freezes and needs reset but I am to lazy to get up lmao

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
The power supply at my place is very good and healthy. I hardly had any outages during past years.

I keep all my devices on standby most of the times. I switch off/on at power socket only when one of the systems hang.

While on standby, the devices consume negligible power and there are hardly any savings. Not worth it. Another theory is that frequent switch on/off of electrical devices subject them to electrical surges and this may put stress on the power supplies. This is my experience as a professional electrical engineer.

But I make it a point to switch off all the devices when I go on long vacation.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
@RRaoD I forgot about that

I have blown a few power supplies and fixed customers who did it that way

A really nice surge tends to be good like you said us uk you may want to check out the incoming voltage, I test mine with a voltage tester to make sure that it's a steady 120 or so there's good filters out if you have power problems they filter brown and other things

Sent from my GT-P5113 using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
North and South America have a lot of countries with 100-127V, most of the rest of the world is on 220-240V
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country (you can re-order the table by voltage)

Over with you, you've got twice the current flowing though (a 3Kw hair drier may be multi-voltage, but you still need to get to 3Kw, so if voltage is 1/2 of the UK, the current would be double).

Volts jolts, current kills. OK, over-simplified ditty I remember from school Physics lessons, but it explains how working with CRTs in the 90s and getting multiple shocks in the kilovolt range didn't finish me off!

surya kumar

Mar 18, 2017
Not for penny save I'll turn off not just it all electronic goods off. It's for energy save future envy...;)