Gawain

Apr 10, 2016
Is anyone else experiencing a slower download speed using open elec on their droid box ? I'm getting buffering issues when streaming films in open elec , so I did a speed test using wookie in open elec and I'm only getting between 10-15 mpbs, I did the exact same test in kodi android and I'm getting a respectful 60mpbs .I have a good internet connection with respectable speeds. I've cleared cache in both open elec and android but I'm getting the same results , open elec is showing poor download speeds compared to android , does anyone know what could be causing this ? Maybe it's the software in open elec . any advice I would very much appreciate .

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
You should not get buffering with 10mbps purely due to line speed. Likely to be something else (e.g. host contention). Do you get buffering on exactly the same stream from the same host on android?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Purely as a matter of interest, how do you run a speedtest on openelec? Is it the same tool or addon as android? If not, results may not be directly comparable.

Gawain

Apr 10, 2016
Hi thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply , I normally get buffering problems on just high definition streams I know this can be pretty normal but my speed drops in open elec , I don't carry out a speed test for specific hosts as I use the wookie tools section that gives you an option to do a speed test and the results are always allot lower when running the speed test through open elec' when running wookie on android mode it's allot faster , I've got good internet speed so I don't get what could be inhibiting it in open elec , I've tried rebooting to factory settings and reinstalling everything but nothing helps. Weird.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I still think it is worthwhile checking the same movie, using the same addon and the same source (host) on openelec and android.
If it buffers on openelec and not on android then there is an interesting problem.
If both buffer then it is likely to be a problem at the host end.
If neither buffer then the returned Mbps value is to be honest immaterial. It all works. Great success.
Who knows what the speed test tool is doing under the bonnet?

Reactions: ChrisM