foolsgold

Feb 29, 2016
hi all just got a t8 pro box just signed up for smart dns proxy trying to figure out how to put it on the t8 and failing miserably can anyone help me through it would be most grateful thank you

foolsgold

Feb 29, 2016
hi yhanks for the reply ive been on that page managed to do my pc but when uit came to the set top boxes the t8 isn't listed so was really stuck

foolsgold

Feb 29, 2016
thankyou for your reply angela ive seen that bit too im just not sure how to go about putting it on my t8 eg where do I put it on the box

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I have never used one but i think a smart dns proixy does not require you to install any third party addons or software on your device, you just put the smart dns proixy into your router or wifi, then you may have to go who your getting it off to activate it, e-mail them im sure they will point you in the right direction.

good luck.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You can either configure your router so ALL devices on your home network use it, OR just alter the config of each device that you want to use Smart DNS Proxy.

If it is a T8-S Plus device that you ordered, click the icon of two little cogs on your homescreen (settings).
Click the NETWORK icon. You'll now need to select Ethernet or Wi-Fi (depending if you have a network cable for your internet access on the DroidBOX or not).

If Ethernet: Click the Advanced Options entry. IP Settings change to Static.
You now need to enter the details (something like 192.168.SOMETHING.SOMETHING for the IP address,
Gateway is your modem/router's IP address, most often 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.240
normally Network prefix length is normally 24 (Newer way of expressing a netmask of 255.255.255.0 )
Finally you get to the DNS section, enter in the IP addresses the company's guide ask you to.

The above is from memory, but it should follow those steps approximately.
If you're using WiFi, same again but select Wi-Fi at the start, and you'll first need to click on the WiFi network you're using I believe.

If it is a T8-S (not the Plus model), click on the Settings icon again, this time click on the "OTHER" tab, then the MORE SETTINGS button. From here, select WiFi or Ethernet and again you'll need to manually specify the values required, rather than using DHCP.

Reactions: angela

james blick

Apr 23, 2016
I have a further question on this topic. I'm trying to setup my VPN but after I change the DNS numbers, the only option I'm given is cancel. The save option that I need is faded out and I can't select it.
The above instructions are the same as what I have done, I just can't proceed to the final step.
I have setup this VPN on a number of different consoles, tablets, smart TVs etc, but I can't seem to setup on my T8S-plus. What am I doing wrong?

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, You could try, after you change your IP settings and change the DNS numbers, unclick the show Advanced Options
to see if that will make your save button active.

Last edited:

james blick

Apr 23, 2016
I had the same idea but when I unselect the advanced options box, the dropdown menu simply disappears, leaving my DNS settings unchanged. The save option on the menu below is not active, leaving me to begin the process again, where I
end up with the same problem again. I figured I might have to press something on my remote to finish the steps, but enter, OK, and left mouse button doesn't do anything.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@james blick Is this on a T8-S Plus as well? Would you be able to make it to our website whilst with your DroidBOX during office hours next week? We can remote in and see what is going on. If the Save button is greyed out, it could be it thinks the servers haven't been entered correctly.
OK, just checked my Plus, didn't have a Save button during the process, let us know the model and we'll get this sorted.

(Did notice that if you switch on a Plus between DHCP and Static, the status isn't shown until you leave and re-enter that screen.)