djob

Feb 2, 2017
Hi
I have trouble getting my T8 S connecting to my pc. I get error 2 share not available. Kodi installed on the pc can see my music share ok. On droidbox I have tried manually creating the source smb using the pc name and IP. I have turned off the VPN's, turned off windows firewall. I can see droidbox on the network on my pc. Both droidbox and pc are hard wired to router. I have scoured forums but cannot get this going.
Has anybody had a similar problem and got it resolved?
Many thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@djob Can you start from the beginning (opening Kodi or DBMC) and let us know EXACTLY what you click on/type in. If there is a password/username in there somewhere, just put some **** instead for the forum reply. We'll duplicate and see what the issue could be, or if other approaches might work. Can you navigate to your PC's shared directory in ES File Explorer?

Lippy2016

Feb 8, 2017
Hi, I've seen a few posts on the forum relating to problems with SMB shares where vpn is involved.

It may not be relevant to people's specific problems but I thought I would let others know that I have a T8 mini which I run on LibreELEC using the "VPN Manager for OpenVPN". My box now boots straight into kodi 16.1 and the vpn server of choice at the same time. I have added movies and tv shows from an HDD plugged into the usb port of my router as an smb source and not had any problems.
I use expressvpn from the list in the addon but most vpn providers are in there. Hope this helps if others are looking for using smb sources and vpn providers at the same time.

djob

Feb 2, 2017
@djob Can you start from the beginning (opening Kodi or DBMC) and let us know EXACTLY what you click on/type in. If there is a password/username in there somewhere, just put some **** instead for the forum reply. We'll duplicate and see what the issue could be, or if other approaches might work. Can you navigate to your PC's shared directory in ES File Explorer?
Hi Chris
I have tried es explorer and amaze and neither find the share from my pc. I have tried scanning and manually setting up the smb connection. VPN is off on droidbox and pc. I'm guessing telling you what I do in DBMC or Kodi is a mute point?
Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Would you be able to pop over to our main website and start a live text chat this week (during the day) sometime? If you can be with the device we can remote into it and check out what is going on.

djob

Feb 2, 2017
Hi Chris. Thank you for the help yesterday. I have now figured out the problem. The VPN, ipvanish needs to be not running as opposed to just disconnected. At least I'm this case.
Doh!

Sent from my SM-G920F using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

djob

Feb 2, 2017
So this is great that I have my music library through dbmc and kodi. But it seems to be an issue when VPN's are running. It's a bit of a pain to have to kill the pc vpn process and disconnect the droidbox vpn everytime I want to listen to music. I could just listen to it through my pc.
Has anyone found a work around? Is there one one?
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920F using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You could setup the share so that it is accessible from the internet. You may need to open/forward some ports or alter some settings for this on your modem/router. Once it is available via the internet, you'd hopefully be able to access the music, whilst still connect to the VPN server.
I've just checked and it looks like TCP ports 139 and 445 are the ones you would need to forward to your PC's internal/LAN IP address.
This approach might mean that the files contents could be sniffed without much difficulty, so I'd not share anything sensitive.