james_uk

Feb 19, 2016
Hi i have some questions if that is ok, some might sound stupid others may not lol

I am new to these boxes but i have had media players before (non streaming) where you put files on the hard drive and i have been used to rooting my phone etc, i guess i am saying will probably pick it up quick enough.

The things i wanted to know are:

• The box says it can update OTA, does that mean it updates Kodi automatically or will it also update android as well, or does that have to be done manually?
  • When you do update kodi or android do all your apps have to be reinstalled?
  • My mate said that he is running a build called pulse on his and its really good, if it is in place of kodi then is it best just sticking with kodi over other builds made by random people (3rd party) builds. or am i totally wrong how i am looking at that?
  • if the above isn't right, can the t8 have these 3rd party builds like pulse on, and does that have any effect on your OTA updates?
  • is the i8 remote far better than the one that comes with cheaper units such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048687&pf_rd_i=desktop i pointed that one out to someone and they said the remote is terrible and to get a Rii MX
    3 remote instead?
I don't think i can think of much else i need to ask but appreciate any help

Regards

James

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
1. The ota is generally for firmware updates. Sometimes that will contain a new version of droidbox's badged version of kodi (dbmc). If you run official kodi from the kodi website (and possibly google play) you will get alerted to kodi updates and you make the choice whether to accept or not.

2. With a kodi update you can normally retain your current addon configuration. Don't "clear data" as part of the install. Maybe back up your addons just in case. With a firmware update including probably an android update your box will likely be wiped so either back up and restore everything or be prepared to reinstall.

3. I don't know anything about pulse. If it is a build it will not replace kodi. More likely it will configure kodi with a pre-chosen set of addons and some flashy skins. Many people here use the wookie wizard to configure their kodi set up. If you feel comfortable, you can install the addons you want yourself.

4. As above, an ota update if it includes a firmware update will wipe your box so you would need to reinstall pulse or wookie or whatever.

5. A remote with a proper keypad, like the droidbox air mouse, is essential imo. Using the provided remote is an exercise in ultimate frustration. Buy from the droidbox accessories section of their shop.

Hope that helps you.

james_uk

Feb 19, 2016
Hi mate, thank you for your reply, on point 5, i dont seem to see anything called droidbox air mouse, it it the i8 or i12 keyboard you meant?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Sorry i meant the vip remote aka the air mouse. I have one for my t8 and its ok. With all these types of devices some people have reported some issues with mapping certain keys to certain functions. Suggest you email support with precise details of the box you are intending to buy and ask them to list any known issues with remote controls and possible workrounds. These issues will not be unique to droidbox - they will apply to all machine providers.

james_uk

Feb 19, 2016
I have bought what i wanted after having sa good look around and listening to people's advice.

i have got the T8-S Plus and the VIPRemote.

The vipremote does look like it may be the better option out of the choices, is that most people opinion? the reviews are very good for it anyway.

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Hi i have some questions if that is ok, some might sound stupid others may not lol

I am new to these boxes but i have had media players before (non streaming) where you put files on the hard drive and i have been used to rooting my phone etc, i guess i am saying will probably pick it up quick enough.

The things i wanted to know are:

• The box says it can update OTA, does that mean it updates Kodi automatically or will it also update android as well, or does that have to be done manually?
  • When you do update kodi or android do all your apps have to be reinstalled?
  • My mate said that he is running a build called pulse on his and its really good, if it is in place of kodi then is it best just sticking with kodi over other builds made by random people (3rd party) builds. or am i totally wrong how i am looking at that?
  • if the above isn't right, can the t8 have these 3rd party builds like pulse on, and does that have any effect on your OTA updates?
  • is the i8 remote far better than the one that comes with cheaper units such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048687&pf_rd_i=desktop i pointed that one out to someone and they said the remote is terrible and to get a Rii MX
    3 remote instead?
I don't think i can think of much else i need to ask but appreciate any help

Regards

James
The OTA updater App updates the firmware of the device when the update is being released, all other Android Apps you can update by uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version or you can sign in into Google PlayStore where from you can update and install Android Apps on your device.
Regarding Build it depends on user choice what he wants, you can manually install Add-ons or you can install Third party build or Wizards which will enable to to watch Media content but we mostly recommend AndysBuild for T8-S PLUS on Android side and Wookie Lite on OpenELEC side.
Also i8+ and VIP remote both are beast for T8-S PLUS device.

Reactions: angela