ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you link to/name the specific Sonos system you've got/are interested in? Whilst we may not have members with direct experience, knowing the specifications and connections used might help us to make educated guesses.

Reactions: fzbob

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
Can you link to/name the specific Sonos system you've got/are interested in? Whilst we may not have members with direct experience, knowing the specifications and connections used might help us to make educated guesses.

TBF, I haven't got anything yet, and still looking/researching :rolleyes:
There are a lot of speakers out there, but I will probably go for something like this.........
http://www.avlounge.co.uk/sonos-5-1...=76729776a24ae79a82c089bf88e29d7e&fo_s=gplauk

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The second links seems to be outputs to other audio equipment, it was the input on the Sonos system I was interested in particularly.

In general, if the system has HDMI input (for the audio side of things, but it would need HDMI out for your TV/monitor) that would be my first choice.
If not, then the optical type of digital audio (TOSLINK) socket would be my next choice, but I'm not sure about the actual surround sound differences, as I'm still on just stereo here.
Finally, if the best Sonos system only had co-ax digital audio (a phono/RCA socket), you can buy adapters to convert optical signals.

Oh, and never get too hung up on the actual cable used, as audiophiles will talk a lot of nonsense to justify themselves spending hundreds on a cable. Have a read through of https://www.avforums.com/threads/di...ust-use-a-standard-phono.761090/#post-7090559 if you have the time.

Probably best for me to shut up now, and wait for members of our community with real world experience of surround sound set ups. @David Savage might pop in if we ask nicely :)

Reactions: David Savage

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi sorry to jump in....sonos are good, I'm unsure about wireless as other things in the house can mess with it.
I would find a local dealer and demo it 1st even ask about best way to connect it. Then when you are happy order online...
I'm old school and have big speakers and amp, which sounds great. As for spending money on cables standard HDMI cables are fine for short runs, longer runs you need better shielding and more expensive. Speaker cables I have the QED silver anniversary which is the best for the price. I would say if you go down this route the good speaker cable is a must.
I would check out wired vs wireless 1st as you might here a difference.

Dave

Reactions: Sal

Sal

Feb 14, 2015
I've just had my Onkyo Amp and Kef speakers installed and wow it's amazing. A lot better then my old speaker bar.

Davids advice was spot on....

SAL

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
The second links seems to be outputs to other audio equipment, it was the input on the Sonos system I was interested in particularly.

In general, if the system has HDMI input (for the audio side of things, but it would need HDMI out for your TV/monitor) that would be my first choice.
If not, then the optical type of digital audio (TOSLINK) socket would be my next choice, but I'm not sure about the actual surround sound differences, as I'm still on just stereo here.
Finally, if the best Sonos system only had co-ax digital audio (a phono/RCA socket), you can buy adapters to convert optical signals.

Oh, and never get too hung up on the actual cable used, as audiophiles will talk a lot of nonsense to justify themselves spending hundreds on a cable. Have a read through of https://www.avforums.com/threads/di...ust-use-a-standard-phono.761090/#post-7090559 if you have the time.

Probably best for me to shut up now, and wait for members of our community with real world experience of surround sound set ups. @David Savage might pop in if we ask nicely :)

Yes sorry, I realized after that it's a switch unit, but thought it might give you an idea about connections, very expensive thouogh...
http://www.hificorner.co.uk/sonos-c...91GTQC-z4m1ZeMEhnL03jYR_uX3PPFPJPYaAnwu8P8HAQ

I think I'm correct in saying the speakers only have a a power supply and an Ethernet port, as it's a wireless unit that connects to any other speakers throughout the house/building.:)

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
Hi sorry to jump in....sonos are good, I'm unsure about wireless as other things in the house can mess with it.
I would find a local dealer and demo it 1st even ask about best way to connect it. Then when you are happy order online...
I'm old school and have big speakers and amp, which sounds great. As for spending money on cables standard HDMI cables are fine for short runs, longer runs you need better shielding and more expensive. Speaker cables I have the QED silver anniversary which is the best for the price. I would say if you go down this route the good speaker cable is a must.
I would check out wired vs wireless 1st as you might here a difference.

Dave

Thanks Dave,I already have a surround sound system (Receiver and 5.1 speakers).
I'm hopefully moving home soonish so want to sell my existing system for a Sonos one.
My original post was to just find out if the Droid box will fit into the Sonos system OK etc.

There is an Audio T shop that sells Sonos near to me, so will ask them to set up a system for me.
it's always good to hear other opinions from forums etc though.;)

Reactions: David Savage

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
Bang & Olufsen is what I recommend if you can afford, its another level from the cheap rubbish out there

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
I agree that Bang & Olufsen are the dogs, but as you say, "if you can afford it".
I have heard Sonos before and IMO they are very good for the price.
But I'll certainly ask Audio T about B&O;)

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
What B&O is like double the price and to be fair just like Bose small doesn't always mean better. Even Sonos fall under here...
Look at home cinema mag, you never see them in it. Good home cinema is best left basic...B&W speakers are British and the best..used in Abbey Road studios and even in the skywalker sound studio.

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
OK Dave was just saying from experience, I've spent good amount of money in past on cheaper brands only to be disappointed with the overall soundstage, a really good setup is not just about how much bass it has when explosions for instance occurs in movies, I like to hear every detail in my cinema room from raindrops falling in a puddle to the left side of an actor on screen to gunshots whizzing past which is why I recommend and always will the B & O, it is all down to personal preference and funds at the end of the day ;)

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
I agree that a proper surround system is best, but unfortunately my system (Pioneer SC-LX82 receiver and Monitor Audio Silver RXAV12) Is a tad too big for my new house.
I shall miss the system as it's ear bashingly good.
But I won't miss having to wire it all up again.:D

)

Reactions: thereaper123

fzbob

May 21, 2015
Hampshire UK
meant to say also.....
I like the idea of having music in all or other rooms.
And Sonos (from the reviews) are very good for that.

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
meant to say also.....
I like the idea of having music in all or other rooms.
And Sonos (from the reviews) are very good for that.
True true, can't argue with that and that is what Sonos have conquered in the market over other brands, their apps on phones and tablets work very well also I've heard too, making it easy to send a track to the bedroom and a different track to the kitchen for instance, control volumes etc etc :)

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
OK Dave was just saying from experience, I've spent good amount of money in past on cheaper brands only to be disappointed with the overall soundstage, a really good setup is not just about how much bass it has when explosions for instance occurs in movies, I like to hear every detail in my cinema room from raindrops falling in a puddle to the left side of an actor on screen to gunshots whizzing past which is why I recommend and always will the B & O, it is all down to personal preference and funds at the end of the day ;)
You are right, you get what you pay for, but has B&O got Atmos or DTS X. Has it got a UHD blu ray player out. If you go to a Cinema install company they all use separates not all in ones. From companies like Denon, Arcam, Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Oppo and many more.
They can cost as low as £500 to £50,000
even more for installs...and I ensure you, you here every bit of sound every low to every high. Surround sound is about 40% of the movie, it pulls you in. If it's set up wrong it won't do that...B&O use out dated tech and for the money you can do a lot better.

Last edited: