John

Aug 27, 2014
Hi all, I just wanted to update on my internet connection problem and I have 1 more question. We have a 20mg connection in our house and when we do the speed test that is in settings on the home page we only have a 2mg connection but if we use the browser and do a speed test on the internet we have a connection that is almost 20mg so my question, is the one on the browser the right one and it's my imagination that I have a problem? If anyone could answer this it would be great before I send this back for no reason possbily. Thanks again

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'm starting to wonder the same about the app, as I've noticed a discrepancy between browser and app results. I've only got a ~6.4Mbit connection at home, so it isn't always to notice the difference on busy days (internet wise).
If other people have the time, could you try testing the Speedtest.Net application, and then visit http://Speedtest.Net , run the test and check if there is much difference?

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
On my x7 speed test app it says 1.0 Mb but when my movies where freezing before I knew about 0 cashe advanced xml I phoned EE and they did a test which said my speed had never dropped below 7.5 Mb so the app must be wrong.

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
Couldn't run speedtest.net because it needs Adobe flash and said x7 not compatible. Ran app twice and both times gave 1.0 MB/S then ran in Google www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk which gave 10.47 MB/S download and 3.31 MB/S upload done in Google from droidbox x7.
Hope this helps a bit but I think it shows that the settings app is misleading at best.

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
I think you have better things to put skills to ( let people Google it ) . Just one thing I wanted to ask but not worth starting a thread if you don't mind is on the home android screen, top left box with apps in I can add apps using the +app button but how do I remove them. Another pointless problem, no wonder your silentlyscreaming.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Click the add button!
Seriously, "Add" is a slightly counter-intuitive label for this activity, I appreciate, I suppose "configure shortcuts" didn't fit there...
Once you've clicked the add button, scroll to the application that you no longer want to have as a shortcut, and then click it, so the tick is removed. Press the go back button, and on my device at least, that shortcut has now been removed.
Not a pointless problem btw, it would have annoyed me as well!
SilentlyScreaming was chosen during a slightly pretentious phase at university, angst-ridden teenagers being what they are ;) Back in the early days of www , before hardcore BBS-only netizens deigned us with their conversion, available (as in not chosen by someone already) online nicks were still abundant. I've another nick use when SilentlyScreaming is too long to be accepted, but I borrowed that from a friend.

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
Thanks for that it was a bit annoying I like to remove things that don't need to be there. And also with a rental apartment the less to click the better.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Don't forget about the possibility of 3rd party launchers. You may find them useful if you're allowing others to use your device. I personally tend to use the "Go" series of launchers with my devices. You can see the EX version here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex&hl=en_GB You can modify some launchers an awful lot.
I've not yet tried looking into locking down the OS for guest users on these devices. Another topic for research :)

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
Like the idea of 3rd party launcher but go series seems more for touch screen so I think I will check some out to see if there is a simple one as some guests are on Apple and don't even know how to use android. The lack of sky in Spain now is making these boxes a must for uk tv in Spain or pay monthly for boxes. Thanks for your input on this.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The Go Lancher EX and Go Launcher HD (I may not have the names spot on) differ slightly. One of them doesn't respond to cursor keys on the remote control, so is definitely more useful on touch screen devices. It also depends on whether you have an Air Mouse style remote control.
Others often recommend the Nova and Apex launchers, but I've not played with them yet.
Hmm, just came across a few mentions of Zeam, with the main selling (free thought) point being is its stripped down approach and corresponding speed.

If you're having Mac users new to Android, it might be worth considering using a cheap (or unused in a cupboard :) ) USB mouse and possibly keyboard. If aesthetics are important in your rooms, then it comes down to whether they can be easily hidden and bought out to use.
My main controller for my X7 used to be my trusty Logitech cordless trackball (close to 10 years service before it finally went to silicon heaven this summer )-; . I still have a USB mouse, keyboard, VIP remote control and occasionally an xBox 360 controller adapter in use.

John

Aug 27, 2014
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help and because of that I didn't send it back because I'm sure nothing is wrong with it, just my imagination

Reactions: ChrisM

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
here are my differances between app and browser, the browser never loads, sits there for 5 mins.
oh and the screen shot app is Screenshot Ultimate 8-]

Attachments

• 2014_09_30_13.31.25.png
    2014_09_30_13.31.25.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 2014_09_30_13.33.36.png
    2014_09_30_13.33.36.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 148