Tweeder

Jul 26, 2017
I have tried the company but they don't respond and never answer the phones but have no problem selling you something. It has 4.4.2 and I was running version 16. I watched a video on YouTube to bring it up to 5.0 to be able to run version 17. It required using a root browser and going in and changing the 4.4.2 to 5.0. Everything went well until I restarted it. It went through its normal open sequence but right before it opens to the maim menu the screen goes black, this happened a few times after unplugging and restarting. My box says m8n on the bottom of it and the star stream logo on top. I downloaded the m8n firmware from chinagadgetreviews and loaded it onto the box and I'm up and running although it looks a bit different. And now when I try to download anything it keeps saying my device is not compatible. Sooooo what I'm looking for is a firmware that I can load that's 5.0 or higher so I can get back to my shows lol.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Firmware is often processor specific so you would need to know what processor type your box has. If it is amlogic s802 or s805 then there is no firmware which successfully runs android 5 on these types of boxes. If s812 or s9xx series you may be in with a chance. Check the freaktabs website. Even if you find one for your processor type there is no guarantee it will be compatible with your box. You may also brick your box totally. You may be better off seeing if you can restore the original firmware if possible.

If you are looking for a higher version of android to run a later version of kodi (e.g. kodi 17), there are several kodi forks out there (ftmc, cemc, mygica) which provide kodi 17 like functionality on older boxes.

Reactions: ChrisM

Tweeder

Jul 26, 2017
Firmware is often processor specific so you would need to know what processor type your box has. If it is amlogic s802 or s805 then there is no firmware which successfully runs android 5 on these types of boxes. If s812 or s9xx series you may be in with a chance. Check the freaktabs website. Even if you find one for your processor type there is no guarantee it will be compatible with your box. You may also brick your box totally. You may be better off seeing if you can restore the original firmware if possible.

If you are looking for a higher version of android to run a later version of kodi (e.g. kodi 17), there are several kodi forks out there (ftmc, cemc, mygica) which provide kodi 17 like functionality on older boxes.
I have the s812 processor. Which do you suggest for ease of use and installation? And I take it I will use my existing box?

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I cannot recommend any particular firmware. It is a risk and you should be aware of that before you start flashing a new one. Droidbox provide our machines with ota updates so we don't really have to worry much about updates for our machines.
If you are talking about Kodi forks with 17 functionality (notably the ability to access hosts using the https protocol) then I have successfully used Cemc from google play store. Others here have used ftmc from the freaktabs web site.