Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
my hearing isn't what it was ( i'm 61 ) , consequently i use subtitles constantly when watching TV , the subtitle option that appears when i choose a movie on sites like showbox , icefilms etc doesn't work is there anywhere on the droidbox s/w to enable them or are they enabled/ disabled by the s/w of the site streaming the movie ?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It isn't the site that normally enables or disables subtitles, but whether they are included in the video stream itself. HOWEVER, all is not lost, if the video file itself doesn't have the subtitle data stream embedded, most films and TV series can have the subtitles downloaded from external sources.
If you use XBMC and have a video playing, move the on screen cursor so the play/pause/stop buttons appear. Click the little rectangle with a line at the bottom, and select download. There are normally two subtitle services you can use, if the first can't find a subtitle file for your video. See http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/finding-subtitles-in-xbmc.1642/ for more info (we had a similar thread on our old forum, thanks for drawing our attention to it not having survived the forum crash).

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Ok , have gone through that check list , mind you there is no bx that you can tick under subtitles that says enabled, anyway here is where i am , lets say i hav BBS1 playing on live tv , i clik the square box at the bottom of screen , clik download subtitles , at first it then gave me two sites to choose fronm tried em bothe no luck clikd more on right of screen brought up maybe 10 more options tried a few, on one of them it lists 42 subtitled programmes mostly obscure movies and tv shows none of which bear any relevence to the one I'm watching on BBC1. Have tried the same on other channels , racing tv , nbc etc exactly the same ?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Live streams won't have pre-existing subtitles files to download from a site, as no one knows what will be said. The subtitles you can download from 3rd parties are for films/TV series. If the live video stream doesn't contain a subtitle stream in it, there isn't a way round this, sorry.

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Live streams won't have pre-existing subtitles files to download from a site, as no one knows what will be said. The subtitles you can download from 3rd parties are for films/TV series. If the live video stream doesn't contain a subtitle stream in it, there isn't a way round this, sorry.
Tx.