Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
I watched a movie on Netflix last night with no problems on my Q7 Droidbox. Today I switched on the Droidbox and the Netflix icon had disappeared on the Home Screen Menu !! I looked in the list of Apps and Netflix has disappeared !!!
I tried downloading the Netflix App from Play Store. It appeared to complete the download but then an Error message popped up saying 'Incompatible Update' and Netflix had not been installed !!??

Can you advise what is happening please ?

Regards

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
Just to add re the above thread, I have a Netflix Account and I have successfully installed Netflix on my Android phone and on my iPad. When I go into my Play Store Account from the Droidbox, select 'MyApps' and select 'All' the Netflix App is listed. If I click on 'Install', as described above, it appears to be installing but then finishes and the 'Install' button still shows instead of 'Open' or 'Uninstall', then an error message appears saying 'Incompatible Update'. !!??

Regards

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion which I will follow up with Netflix. Having said that, if the Netflix App can be downloaded and installed successfully on my Android Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone and also to my iPad 2, will it not be more likely that the problem is with the Droidbox Q7 ?

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
As the Q7 hasn't changed its hardware or firmware, but the NetFlix application has, I'd assume the only changing factor was the root of the issue.
The hardware inside your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be (mostly) different to our device. They have the same class of CPU and the same operating system, but it could be that a change Netflix made to the app is incompatible with some hardware in some devices.
I understand your flow of logic, and I'd not be surprised if Netflix denied changing anything, but if the app worked prior to the update, and then after the update it doesn't want to install, I'm not sure we can change anything (hardware-wise especially!) from our end of things. If Netflix want information you don't have to hand, or you're not sure what they're asking for, let us know.

If Netflix can't help, it might be possible to find the old version of the APK file for Netflix, install it on your device, and then break the link between the app and it's Play Store entry. This way all other applications would continue to update, but Netflix would be left in a working state. This assumes Netflix don't force users to have an up to date installation to use their services.

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
OK, thanks for the background info. Just one further question ... as mentioned in my original Post above, I watched a Netflix movie via the Droidbox one evening this week and then when I switched the Droidbox on the next day, everything was as normal except that the Netflix icon was missing from the Homescreen favourites and the list of Apps installed when viewed in 'Advanced Setting'!! I had not installed any updates, not used the Droidbox Wizard or done any reboots etc., just switched the Droidbox off the evening before and switched it on again the next day!!! Is this possible ?

Thanks & regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I have icons disappear from my launcher's homescreen sometimes when they update (but I've only used the Go Launcher for a long time). This doesn't always happen, so I'm not sure whether only certain classes of updates cause it. Ah, I see what you mean, missing from list of apps installed as well. Maybe NetFlix have reduced the amount of models approved as compatible. I'm still not sure they'd be allowed (via the Play Store) to actually remove an app though. Hopefully Netflix can spread some light on the matter.
If you want to check what happens if you sideload the APK, let me know, we could use an application to grab the APK from your phone, transfer it to your DroidBOX device, and install it without involving the Play Store. It may not result in a working Netflix app, but perhaps give us more of a clue as to what Netflix have done or perhaps restricted.

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
Hi,
Well I've talked to Netflix and, as I expected, they say they have no issues with the App being made available via the Play Store. After describing my problem they concluded that it must be a problem with the hardware onto which i am trying to install the App which is where I am coming from.
With regard to your comments in your last Post, to be clear, the Netflix App still appears in the list of Apps in the Play Store, but if I access the Droidbox 'Advanced Settings' and then 'Apps', the App does not appear in the list ie. it has completely disappeared from the system.
I'm afraid that you have completely lost me with the technical suggestion around sideloading the APK but I am willing to give it a try!!
I still don't understand why the ANDROID Droidbox Q7 won't install a readily available Play Store Android compatible App when this App will install on other Android devices such as Smartphone and also the MAC iPad. Surely this can only be a problem with the device trying to install it ? The Netflix App was working perfectly fine. I hadn't uninstalled it or tried to update it ... it just disappeared off my Droidbox !!

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The older version of NetFlix downloaded and installed onto your Q7.

NetFlix updated the application. Your Q7 hasn't had any parts of hardware changed.

Now the new version of the Netflix app doesn't download onto your Q7.

I'd be interested what their flow of logic is to show it is our hardware, not their code, that is causing the issue!

In terms of the app disappearing, given that their new version won't install, I think there might be a link.

If this was a new model of ours, that hadn't been tested before, I could see their point. But... our hardware in your home has stayed the same. Their app has been updated. It no longer allows installation on our device.

Re side-loading, please make sure Netflix is not listed as an app on your device anywhere, then visit this address on your Q7, in an internet browser - https://www.dropbox.com/s/77ffpvg85kmyjkv/com.netflix.mediaclient.apk?dl=0
Click on download, and open it once it completes. (If you need to locate it later, is should be stored in /mnt/sdcard/download ). If it gives a similar error to before, we know that the Play Store isn't to blame either. Then you're left with NetFlix.
If they have a serious suggestion as to what the issue is, given nothing has changed with at our end, or need more information, we're happy to deal with them, [email protected] . If they just want to pretend that changes in their software haven't caused the issue, I think we arrived at an impasse.

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
Hi,

OK, I tried 'sideloading' the Netflix App via your suggested approach above. The link worked OK and the App Downloaded and appeared to be Installing but then a message box popped up saying 'App not installed'. I tried this several times with the same result and Netflix would not install. So as you say, the Play Store Download is not to blame as we get the same result using the 'sideloading' approach.
If I try talking to Netflix about this I am going to get out of my depth with the technicalities quite quickly, so I would appreciate if you could possibly take this up with Netflix to see if a resolution can be found. It seems to be a Netflix software to your hardware incompatibility following their software upgrade.
If it helps, the details I have obtained from my particular Droidbox system are as follows:

Droidbox Q7
Android Version: 4.2.2
Kernel Version: 3.0.36+
Soft Version: V1.0.0 - 20131104
Model No. GT-19300
Vendor Software Version: RK3188_R-Box_Android4.2.2-SDK_V1.0.0_130514

As mentioned previously I don't have any problems running the Netflix App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-19505) running Android Version 4.4.2 with Kernel Version 3.4.0-2309103 or my Apple iPad 2. Also, I can run the Netflix App via my Nintendo Wii Game console. Having said that, I would relay like to be able to run the Netflix App on my Droidbox.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I wasn't meaning that Google's Play Store is to blame. Attempting to install the APK manually has indicated that again.

The old APK installed and worked on your Q7, yes?
The new one doesn't.
The Q7 hasn't changed.
The software has.
We've tried to contact Netflix before about an issue with non-touchscreen devices and didn't get anywhere at all.

You could try this one instead, it is version 3.3.0 - https://docs.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B5AML0zncZ9NV3JZR2JZdW5maUE
This should be 3.7.1 - http://goo.gl/5TqhcF
This is a VERY old version, with device checking removed. I don't know if it works on their system anymore - http://www.mediafire.com/?fstq5v1r3zdp8mn

This is definitely not the first time NetFlix have updated their software, it stops working on some devices, and they try to blame the un-changed Android device, not their changed software, see http://daniel-slack.newsvine.com/_n...ed-working-since-android-updated-what-do-i-do (that was just the first result on Google)

I'm not trying to be difficult, but we don't control NetFlix or their software coders. They've broken something with their code change, and until they fix it, not much can be done apart from trying older versions of the APK from when NetFlix did work.

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
OK. I do appreciate your support and advice. I will try the alternatives you suggest and see how I go on. If that doesn't work, I will just have to live with it until some time in the future when Netflix update their software and the bug is fixed !!

Thanks again.

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Some customers who live in countries where the copyright laws are less strict apparently use XBMC add-ons to watch high quality versions of the same movies Netflix offer.
We stress that customers should never break the law, obviously.
If you ever move to another country and have no moral objection, then do check out Navi-X, IceFilms, Mash Up, 1Channel, YIFY Movies HD, Genesis and any other XBMC add-on with Movie in the title.
In terms of quality, the best are:
1080p,BluRay,720p,HD,DVD
You may also see:
SD,TV,576,480
Definitely avoid:
CAM,TS-Sync unless you're desperate.

Geoff Hardern

Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion!!

I did try the other links to the Netflix App downloads but none of those worked either !!

Thanks again.

Regards

Dan Price

Nov 19, 2014
I had a problem downloading any apps using the RJ45 LAN network jack with a tested speed (speed test on q7 device) of over 60 MBPS on my FIOS. It would not download anything. I switched to wifi and everything seems to download and install fine. I don't know if this is a bug in the android OS or just a fluke on my particular q7, but maybe this info will help you or someone else with app download/install issues. Hope you find your cure and get rolling again!

Reactions: ChrisM

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
NetFlix support have not been vaguely helpful when we've tried to contact them before. I think if you don't have a phone or tablet from a major player, they're not interested in elevating an enquiry to their 2nd/3rd level tech support. Until you reach those type of people, they tend to respond using scripts selected by keyword analysis. Data monkeys/Customer service agents rather than people wanting to actually trace a fault/issue with their code basically.

I'm happy (if a little perplexed!) that switching to WiFi allowed apps to be downloaded. I know that a few applications think they are using 3/4G if WiFi isn't in use. Quite why Ethernet connections aren't accorded the same assumptions as WiFi is a question I think Android developers would help us all if they explained.