Neil1908

May 8, 2016
hi there we are new to theses android boxes,just purchased a box and it is great,is it better to switch the box of at bedtime or is it better to leave the box on all the time.

dwinger

Nov 4, 2015
Swansea
hi there we are new to theses android boxes,just purchased a box and it is great,is it better to switch the box of at bedtime or is it better to leave the box on all the time.
i think it's better to turn it off when it's not being used because each time you turn it on it automatically updates

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
i think it's better to turn it off when it's not being used because each time you turn it on it automatically updates

Please explain more? My apps update automatically.... kodi addons do as well (though I regularly clear it to refresh anyway) and the firmware isn't automatic regardless. Not sure what you have that needs a reboot to force an update?

Neil1908

May 8, 2016
Thanks for your reply ,when I purchased the box a friend who has one said it would be better to leave box on all the time,but being new to all this and not knowing much about the box,I thought I would ask on here.

dwinger

Nov 4, 2015
Swansea
Please explain more? My apps update automatically.... kodi addons do as well (though I regularly clear it to refresh anyway) and the firmware isn't automatic regardless. Not sure what you have that needs a reboot to force an update?
Hi, I don't mean to reboot the device just put it on standby so when you do turn the box on all addons update after you've clicked on media centre on the home screne

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
It is always better to turn off your DroidBOX rather than leaving it on all the time.
You can turn off your Box by using normal IR remote or using Power(On/Off) button of the box, you can also disconnect the power cord of the Box to turn complete off.

Neil1908

May 8, 2016
It is always better to turn off your DroidBOX rather than leaving it on all the time.
You can turn off your Box by using normal IR remote or using Power(On/Off) button of the box, you can also disconnect the power cord of the Box to turn complete off.
That's good to know ,thanks for your reply.

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
I don't understand why that is the case though?

These boxes are little more than any other android phone or tablet other than having sturdier hardware and no inbuilt screen. My phone hasn't been switched off other than for firmware updates in the 7 months I've had it, the one before not in 2 years.

By far the most "stressful" activity for electrical components is powering up from "cold" due to the spike in current when powering up.

For those concerned about power usage, Android has 'sleep' type mode inbuilt and the cpu down clocks itself when not in use

Reactions: ChrisM

Neil1908

May 8, 2016
I don't understand why that is the case though?

These boxes are little more than any other android phone or tablet other than having sturdier hardware and no inbuilt screen. My phone hasn't been switched off other than for firmware updates in the 7 months I've had it, the one before not in 2 years.

By far the most "stressful" activity for electrical components is powering up from "cold" due to the spike in current when powering up.

For those concerned about power usage, Android has 'sleep' type mode inbuilt and the cpu down clocks itself when not in use[/QUOTE
To think about it my phone has never been of since the day I got it either,the instruction manual that came with my android box said that the box is a small computer and should be treated as such,sometimes when my computer is switched on it takes an age to boot up,so I thought that the android box would be the same,that's why I asked the the question,as I have been leaving it on constantly as advised by my friend.as I get used to my android box I am sure I will find out for myself what's best.

Neil1908

May 8, 2016
To think about it my phone has never been of since the day I got it either,the instruction manual that came with my android box said that the box is a small computer and should be treated as such,sometimes when my computer is switched on it takes an age to boot up,so I trhought the android box would be the same, that's why I asked the question,as I have been leaving it on constantly as advised by my friend. as I get used to my android box I am sure I will find out for myself what's best.

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
My desktop pc rarely gets switched off either. My server, never.

Two things kill chips, voltage spikes as I've mentioned... and heat. These boxes don't run hot by any means.

Edit: the thing that will be damaged by a constant electricity supply is the power brick... 240v in to 5v (presumably, I haven't looked) results in a lot of heat. The only way to reduce that is to unplug it from the wall.

If you could see behind my TV you'd see why I don't bother with that either! Lol

Reactions: ChrisM