David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
New home screen menu as well, nice to know. Its not mentioned on the Droidbox main site.
There you go EricB now that saves on posting and packing...

I'm like you Estwing I'm going to wait and see if there's any problems...

Dave

Reactions: EricB

bom

Mar 17, 2015
under NSA surveillance
brilliant update worked fine. just make sure you set up mega acct and download thru that rather than using the browser option and you get 50gb storage for free too! Now its all working will any future updates be OTA?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Which firmware version does it report as installed right now?
Version 1 = the latest one
Version 2 = a test name that doesn't link to anything now
1.1.x = old firmware

The error message will appear right now if you have the latest firmware. It will say that unless there is a newer firmware available to download.

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
I finally took the plunge recently and all went well without any problems -- you are left with a clean bear bones installation of Kodi, which still has the Wookie Repo intact. Its then just a case of installing Wookie from the Repo and then choosing which build you want (Username - FREE, Password - 1234 worked for me). I went for the Retro version build, which is a bit less "fussy" and has cleaner lines.

Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I updated the firmware on my pre-July T8 model on Friday via an SD card as instructed. Everything worked ok.
After setting things up I noticed Droidbox market was not present in Android apps.
I then saw a notification for another firmware update (number 2?). Downloaded that and everything set up ok again. I noticed that Droidbox market was now present.
I reran the Wookie and all addons set up ok. I noticed the Wookie version was 6.0.1. which does not need log in details.
My ethernet connection is also a lot faster (70mbps) compared to what it used to be so put that down to the f/w update.

Interestingly I noticed the firmware installer has an option to wipe data or not. To be safe I did, although I knew it would clear out all my old kodi and android settings and configuration. Does anyone know what happens if you don't tick this box?

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
If I remember correctly the 1st time I updated my T8-S I never cleared data and it never installed. Then if I went to the OTA updater and in the top right corner click the setting it would show there as an load file. Then if I clicked on it, it would give me the option to install or delete.
To install properly it needs you to clear the data....
Thats my experience of the not clearing data 1st....

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
I decided not to tick the box ( bit of a coward I suppose ! ) on my T8 (after June purchase) since I didn't want to lose some of my Settings, Configuration and Apps which I had installed (Showbox, Movie HD etc. ). Firmware update still worked OK. Noted that there were a couple of new Apps installed, but to be honest I don't use the majority of those available.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you don't clear data then any already installed apps won't be updated by the APKs found in the /system/preinstall folder (for example if you had Kodi 15.0 and ticked clear data, you'd have 15.2 after, if you didn't tick Clear Data then you'd still have 15.0 installed (with the APK file to install 15.2 available in /system/preinstall)#

If you don't clear data and something goes wrong, one of the support team's first reactions will be "factory reset/clear data please"

If you don't clear data you don't have to start everything from scratch again.

If you clear data you get the latest version of all the apps, and a chance to configure things right the first time.

Possible reasons for and against ticking the CLEAR DATA option when updating your firmware.

courtjester

Oct 18, 2015
Point taken Silently Screaming - a balanced and objective view is always welcome on the Forums. I am no doubt influenced by the bad experience I had with a previous update, when it did not work correctly and I spent many frustrating hours correcting what I had lost. I had not at that time mastered the art of "backing up" everything beforehand to minimise any possible inconvenience caused. However I now have a bit more experience and confidence working with Android and Kodi, although still on a learning curve and may have another go with the CLEAR DATA option first, the next time there is a major update.

mark1

Nov 14, 2014
Hi guys
Been updating 3 t8 boxes with latest firmware...2 boxes updated great but the third just will not go into recovery mode so I can update via SD card(toothpick reset). Also tried factory reset in setting but no joy.
Any help much appreciated thanks.