Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
Hi I'm new to this forum so sorry if I've gone about asking this question in the wrong way. I've just ordered a T8 Mini from Amazon (possibly stupidly) it's sold by a company called HD Media Revolution. It's sold as a Droidbox, do you guys think I'll get the genuine thing and how will I be able to tell? If it's fake it's going straight back and I'll purchase direct from Droidbox.

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
i recommend you only buy it from Droidbox.com. lots of clones on amazon, cant you cancel the order?

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
Thanks for replying. Can't cancel as it's on the way, think I'll return it without opening the box. This company have an iffy uk address and obviously based in China. I'll order from Droidbox, which is what I should have done in the first place.

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
if its from China its probably a clone of the Droidbox, but you never know, am not sure who are droidbox reseller, or if they have any.

any way good luck hope it turns out ok for ya.

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
It seems that HDMediaRevolution are actually Droidbox. I contacted them this morning and they confirmed they are Droidbox. The address is the same as Droidbox's in London and their business address is not China it's Hong Kong. (I somehow misread it) It's all a bit confusing as on their website Droidbox say their Amazon reseller is HBMC Solutions Ltd. That's why I panicked a bit. I now know I'll get a genuine T8 Mini Phew!! Hope this helps anyone buying from Amazon.

Reactions: shah nissar

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
Nice one glad you know now that ist a original Droidbox, Enjoy it when you get it, need any help just ask ;p

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Your as relieved as I am. Its probably the same sellers or very similar. I contacted Droidbox about the seller who sold me on Ebay and I too was reassured that they were a genuine re-seller. All good now.
Glad for you too mate.

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
I'm looking forward to getting the T8 Mini. I've got a Q-box at the moment which is pretty goood for the price. It got me into the world of Kodi and wow that was a steep learning curve for me anyway. Now I understand it a lot more I want a decent experience which the Droidbox will give me. The Q-box will go in the bedroom as a second box. I'm greatful for the replies, I'll keep an eye on this forum as it is full of great info with a lot of folks on here who know what they're talking about. Cheers!!

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
No worries. I too started off many years ago on boxes which were no good and learned all I needed. Then I got a box called TLBB (The Little Black Box) V1 running linux which I love.
Linux for me but I know people like the Android side of things. Believe it or not Ive been running Gotham 13.2 for the last two years coz my box was unable to update. I found that 13.2 would not allow Exodus, Specto, or Salts so I decided to finally upgrade.
Ive read report after report about Droidbox and decided the T8 Mini was the one as I liked the Processor which is a 9 series and future proof kodi 17 etc.
Anyway - up to now Ive had no bother - streams are excellent and as they should be. Box is running spot on.

Reactions: David Savage

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
Well sadly my story doesn't have a happy ending. I recieved the T8 Mini today and on opening the box I find that the aerial is loose/hanging out of it's housing and there's a screw or piece of plastic rattling around inside the box. It may be an easy fix but obviously opening it would invalidate the warranty, it's just not acceptable, so it's going straight back to Amazon for a refund without even being turned on. I noticed another person on the Amazon comments section had exactly the same issue recently and sent his back, I reckon I've got that one, just been sent straight out again without even being checked first. I'm away shortly so can't faff around sending it to Droidbox for repair/replacement. I'll decide what to do when I get back. It's a shame I was looking forward to using the Drodbox, I can't seem to buy anything electronic without a heap of trouble these days.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
So sorry to hear that mate. Did it ship from London???? or did it actually come from Hong Kong? I got mine from Ebay Droidbox UK - an authorised seller. Thats not on - its so annoying. Cant say anything else - coz I know you were looking forward to setting it up.
Dont give up on it though coz the T8 Mini really is a great box.

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
I contacted Droidbox directly yesterday and they confirmed to me that the Amazon seller is them by another name. It must have come from the UK as I ordered it on Monday and it arrived today. I'm away for a while, when I get back I'll start again and get one direct from Droidbox. I've been unlucky but I won't give up on these boxes as I know they're good. I'll keep you posted, cheers for your comments.

Reactions: shah nissar

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
Well I've got a new T8 Mini and so far, after 1 week it seems pretty good. Like most of these Chinese boxes it does suffier from the occasional blip but overall it's good. The one thing I do find annoying is an issue with the time not always showing correctly after booting up, preventing use of the Internet and Google Playstore. I have switched the box on around 15 times now and it has needed a reboot at least 4 times in order to get the time to set itself correctly, sometimes taking about a minute to do so. It's a shame there is no internal clock and backup battery which would add about £2 to the manufacturing cost but would save the hassle of the box having to search for the time at every boot.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Glad you got another. Cant understand the clock problem as mine has always displayed correct time even after switching off and on every night.
Weird that

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It might be worth trying a different timeserver to sync with @Bruce Joseph . https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/where-is-time/ has a link to ClockSync at the bottom.
I've pasted in a few for you from http://www.galsys.co.uk/time-server/uk-time-server.html

0.uk.pool.ntp.org
1.uk.pool.ntp.org
ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk
ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk
ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk
ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk
ntp.exnet.com

We did have a situation in the Republic of Ireland where Vodafone was blocking certain NTP servers, using a different one helped ensure the date/time was correct.

Bruce Joseph

Oct 11, 2016
Thanks for your reply SilentlyScreaming. My box usually finds the correct time but it can take a little while, perhaps I just need to be more patient, I'm used to PC speeds I suppose. I'll try the clocksync app to see if it speeds things up but it's not a huge problem anyway. On the whole the T8Mini is behaving pretty well so I'm happy with it.