Sansiro2

Dec 24, 2016
Hi guys, coming to a T8 Mini from the beast that is the Nvidia Shield TV (after Dimitrology's review on YouTube) and very impressed so far with what this box can do - loving the Droidbox share, the Remotr, the dual boot, the standard launcher and the VIP Ultra HD remote is lovely. However, had a tinker around and had the following queries:

- Is there any way to change the shortcuts on the left hand side of the home screen (i.e. I have weather, droidshare, open elec, play store and DBMC) - can I assign different apps to these?

- Is there any way to get the box into 'always on' standby mode - at the moment when I press the red power off button on the standard remote or the button on the unit the button goes red. However, when I press the button again it turns blue, the unit switches on and the boot sequence starts and it takes about say 40 seconds to get to the home screen. So this is more like a shutdown rather than standby. I am used to just pressing on and going back to where I left off instantly like you can on the Shield. Is this possible on the T8 Mini?

- Any way to get rid of the red light when on standby without using black tape?

- Is there any option in settings to keep apps running in background like you have on Android 6 - I appreciate you can use Alt + Tab on the keyboard but wondered if you could do this on the system.

Thanks guys

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Hi, You will get all the help you need on here. I have the T8 Mini and I love it. TBH Ive never known how to put it in standby using the remote - but it would be good to kno. I always use the Red button and yes - its a sort of shutdown.
In relation to the Red Light - I actually do use Black Tape on the Red light and the time function on the front as Ive never found a way ov getting the time to go dim or even not show. Black tape for me mate.

Sansiro2

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks - not a massive issue as the box is so good. Seriously impressed with the power even compared to the Shield. The wireless performance in another room was immense especially over the 5Gz band and I have thick walls- matched the LAN speed which is crazy.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi Sansiro

To answer your other questions.

There is no way of changing the app layout on the standard launcher. However, you can download alternative launchers. I use the nova launcher from Google play and an image of choice (your own photo or one from say wallpapers HD). You can then customise the home screen with whatever apps you want.

After you exit an app (by returning to the home screen) my impression is that some of them at least are still open in the background e.g. Spotify. Clicking on the app icon usually returns you to where you left off.

Sansiro2

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks Nigelar, I actually love the standard launcher. I am a big fan of Android TV on boxes so appreciate the box layout which is easy to navigate using arrow keys - Nova Launcher is a classic and an excellent launcher I agree.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using DroidBOX Forums mobile app