bdanielson

Mar 9, 2016
Bought January 2015, no OTA Updater on the box.

I wish to update the firmware and there is no means to do so.

Any help in the matter would be appreciated.

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Bought January 2015, no OTA Updater on the box.

I wish to update the firmware and there is no means to do so.

Any help in the matter would be appreciated.
You will need to follow the link that Angela has advised you to update your T8 device as you have bought your device before June 2015.

Crunch

Jul 8, 2015
I've tried the self same advice but get a load of error messages when the Android box reboots. Tried different SD cards, full reformat first etc. All to no avail.

Go to say, having bought 2 no. droidbox for it's "low maintenance" and auto updates etc. I'm losing the will to live with them both.

IMG_4472.JPG

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
1. You dont have to apply the firmware updates if you dont want to
2. T8 was never advertised as auto updating for firmware until you apply the ota fix
3. From the error message it seems the card is not being read. Can you copy a simple single file to it such as an image and see if that can be read using say es file explorer
4. The update does work as i talked another user through it on friday and i have done it myself

Crunch

Jul 8, 2015
What did you format your sd card? Fat32?

Can't
1. You dont have to apply the firmware updates if you dont want to
2. T8 was never advertised as auto updating for firmware until you apply the ota fix
3. From the error message it seems the card is not being read. Can you copy a simple single file to it such as an image and see if that can be read using say es file explorer
4. The update does work as i talked another user through it on friday and i have done it myself

Nigelar - appreciate the replies.

2. I'm not sure that's the case - the unit was originally advertised on Amazon as being fully self-updating for both firmware & Kodi etc....
3. Yes it can - I've already verified.
5. FAT32 - tried a few different formats but if ES File Explorer can read it then the Android update process should also be able to?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Without sitting in front of your machine it is hard to diagnose, so apologies if these questions seem pedantic.

This is was what I did from memory:

- I downloaded the zip file to a PC
- I inserted the sd card into the pc and from memory a window utility popped up to take me through the copy process. i believe this offered a facility to format the sd card which i did
- i copied the zip file to the sd card

then i followed the instructions in the web link after putting the sd card in the t8.

a quick check you can do to ensure the copy process has worked
- with the t8 switched on and the sd card not mounted.
- mount the sd card
- use es explorer to view the sd card
- do you see the zip file and nothing else?

try all that and report back.

fyi although the t8 supported auto updating of android apps and kodi and its addons, it was the firmware update you are trying to apply which provided ota functionality to older t8's.
even with that, ota updates on all machines do not "auto update". they allow you to download firmware updates to your android box and then you manually apply them.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi crunch, I would still pursue possible incorrect file formatting as the source of your issue. This article seems to match exactly your circumstances (the first section) and I have read up on many other links which point to this as a potential source of the problem. If that fails to fix it, I don't think there is much more I can suggest although droidbox support may be able to help.

http://www.droidviews.com/fix-e-cant-mount-sd-card-issue-android-devices/

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Have you got anywhere with this? Interested to know and also if you fixed it, what other users may need to do.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Any update @Crunch ? We'd like to know if you found a solution so we can advise other users with this problem.

Nibb

Feb 19, 2015
Updated mine this morning using this method and the SD card formatter posted above with no problems! [emoji106]

Reactions: ChrisM

Jarrath

Jan 28, 2015
Hi,
Does an SD card have to be used for this method? Is it possible to use a USB key or copy the file to the device itself?

Don't have an SD card handy so checking to see if there is another method..

Thanks,
Jarrath