EricB

Mar 12, 2015
The T8 OTA update has arrived on my box. I've read that Kodi 16.1RC2 is included in your update from 22/4. But I noticed on the Kodi website that already a new Kodi 16.1 is released on 24/4. Does this mean that your update has not the latest version of Kodi and that I should better wait for another OTA update ?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Dbmc is droidbox's own badged version of kodi. I am not sure how different it is to official kodi although they might say it is optimised for droidbox machines . It might also be based on a kodi variant called spmc which is tuned specifically for android boxes.

If you are still with me, the official kodi 16.1 is a stable latest release.

Dbmc, spmc and official kodi are all separate apps and can coexist on your machine. Updating one will not update the others.

It really is a matter of choice. You can update kodi without doing the firmware update if you prefer.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Tnx for yr reply. As you write that DBMC might be optimised for droidbox machines, I'm thinking about it to give it a try. I'm curious what the differences are and how heavy it is. I'm running Kodi 16.0 now on my T8. Just as a test, and before I do any update, do you think it is doable to run Kodi on my T8 (I'm using Gears of War build) and also try DBMC which is amongst my apps (I guess I can install the same GOW build on it). Or will my T8 be overloaded ? Ofcourse, I will not run them both together.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi EricB. In answer to your question, you can install both Kodi and dbmc. The only consideration is whether you have enough space, as both will take up memory plus the respective builds. To be honest though I would ask why? I doubt you will notice the difference between the versions. My advice is to install one or the other. For your information I have installed "official" Kodi from the Google play store and it auto updated this week to Kodi 16.1. No need to reinstall Addons.

Reactions: EricB

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
You're right. There is no point in installing both Kodi and Dbmc, as the differences will be small anyway. It has never came up to me to install Kodi from the Google Playstore. This a good idea as it auto updates and no need to reinstall addons. I will do the following steps : I will run the latest OTA update (I want the new launcher anyway and with Kodi 16.1RC2), I then uninstall Kodi and then I install Kodi from the Playstore. Am I right ?
If I install Kodi from the Playstore, I guess the large XBMC Icon on the homescreen launcher won't work. So I will have to add a shortcut to the favorites screen. Right ?

Reactions: dwinger

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Yes correct the xbmc tile will not link to your version of Kodi.
Your options are as you say, create a shortcut on home screen.
Or, replace the launcher with a customised one from Google play store (my solution).

Reactions: ChrisM

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
On my T8 homescreen, my large media player tile is XBMC. If I run the new OTA update together with the new Kodi (not via the Playstore), do you know if the large tile will be XBMC or DBMC ? When I look at screenshots, it seems that it will be default the DBMC tile (would be a shame, but understandable) and that we have to add a small shortcut.

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, Yes after the new update the tile will be DBMC, if you click on it will open the DBMC 16.1.2 app.

Reactions: ChrisM

dwinger

Nov 4, 2015
Swansea
When ever I update to the latest version of kodi i do this by using the internet browser to download the latest kodi then uninstall the older kodi then install the newest version via the app installer I didn't know that by using the play store kodi updated itself whenever a new version is released . You learn something new everyday

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
The capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice. ;)