Lh_rover

Feb 4, 2016
UK
www.rovers.co.uk
I have emailed you about the recent problem with my box after the OTA update:

"Hi, I ran the update and everything looked fine but now I can't get into OpenElec?

I clicked the DroidSwitch app and it reboots but then just hangs on the logo. I did a factory reset by going into the recovery by following the instructions to go into recovery, but no luck. I now cannot get back into Android either as it just hangs on the droid logo.

Please help"

Your reply was to send the box back to you at my cost for something that should be fixable from a straight forward firmware flash of the original lollipop firmware it came with?

Would it not be simpler and faster to just post a link to the firmware file to download?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradley

Lh_rover

Feb 4, 2016
UK
www.rovers.co.uk
Hi Chris,

Having read the reasons on that page I can understand why you would be reluctant to release the firmware files publicly, but the longer term concern for me is that like with any rooted box available on the market, I want to be able to install and setup the box to my liking. I don't want to be restricted to only using it as its sent to me in fear of not having any other choice but to return the box if a factory reset won't resolve it, otherwise their wouldn't be much point of purchasing a rooted device surely?

To return the box, I will have to remove the hard drive but I am also wary of sending a device back which will probably have some personal files on the 32gb drive space which currently it appears I have no way of removing that I can find.

All in all I am rather surprised and disappointed that after purchasing a premium product rather than the cheaper boxes which DO have firmware files available to be told we are restricted to returning the box for reflashing for something which can be resolved by readily available firmware for most devices on the market.

If the concern is public links as you say, then maybe a link in an email to the firmware files for verified purchases would work? I have sent you the order number as you initially requested.

Reactions: thegazsheard

joe mcisaac

May 7, 2016
And Mine Too, This is BS you should be emailing us the firmware especially since I live in Canada and my customers aren't going to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get their unit back.

Reactions: thegazsheard

orlins

Mar 27, 2016
... disappointed that after purchasing a premium product rather than the cheaper boxes which DO have firmware files available to be told we are restricted to returning the box for reflashing ...
I agree :-(
My T8S plus still dead ...

https://droidboxforums.com/threads/t8-s-plus-wifi-and-ethernet.4058/#post-17965

Hey! Whatever !!! Do not hopeless , these boxes are very good box , you just need to make some adjustments.

When we have a French section on this forum ?? lol Flo .

john winn

Jan 22, 2016
Not sure what the last message was all about but I am now in a similar position as these guys. I tried to run the updater but the box just hung in the Android recovery mode. I then followed links to restore from SD card and I seem to have the T8 version with no 'reboot 2 Openelec' icon. This process was listed on your blog where the is insufficient differentiation between the T8 and the T8s firmware. In one article its says the firware for the T8 and the T8s (as well as the T8s plus) have been unified. How can this be when there is no Openelec option on the T8?

the OTA updater shows Build version KOT49H.20160414 test-keys (can I suggest making the build version names meaningful?) and this does not correspond to the latest T8s build you mentioned above. When I try to update there is no new version available presumably because the software your end thinks I have a T8 rather that T8s and that the version is correct.

I get the bit about people copying the firmware onto clone boxes but you need to find a better solution than posting boxes back or we may as well buy the clones. How about you change the OTA updater so we can force update to the correct version??

Meanwhile I now effectively have a T8 when I paid for a T8s.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The updates were unified for all models. As in the changes themselves from old to new firmware are now the same.

The T8 recovery process (assuming it was from https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/droidbox-t8-firmware-recovery/ ?) is only for T8 models. Flashing a T8 firmware to a T8-S or T8-S Plus will always cause problems.

The label given to the Build is produced by the coders, KOT49H I'm not sure on, but after that is the date 2016 April 14th.

The OTA app will only allow updates for the firmware you have installed at the time. If you install a T8 firmware onto a different device, if the OTA app works, it will only ever show T8 files. If this were changed, more customers are then likely to flash the wrong model's firmware to their device.

Posting back is normally only required when the wrong file has been flashed to the device, if this is a customer error then postage isn't covered. If the error is something DroidBOX caused (by advising to flash the wrong file for example), we will cover the cost.