ADz83

Apr 3, 2016
Hi,

I'm having various issues with my box.

The time/date keep resetting every single time I reboot/turn box on. I have had to install a Clock sync app for it to auto update but there is delay with this and it can cause issues with apps if I go into them too early so I have to wait. It seems to be that there is a fault with the internal battery so when you power down it loses date/time. I see there are many others with this issue. Can I return my product for a replacement?

The above issue seems to cause problems with other apps randomly losing settings.

I'm also having an issue with some apps, mostly Kodi forgetting USB drive so it's acting as if it's a new one/different mount/device ID maybe each time? For example in Kodi I build a library then after a reboot it acts as if the attached drive is a different drive or different location so every time I try and play a media file it says can't locate and asks to remove. Not sure if this is specifically a Kodi issue or related to the loss of battery when powering down.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi adz,

There may be an issue with the box and if it is under warranty you will be able to contact Droidbox direct to discuss fixing/possible replacement.
But, before doing that consider the following.
When you say the date keeps resetting, does it reset to 1/1/70 or similar?
I have seen this behaviour before and sometimes it is due to a poor wifi connection.
You could test this by running the speedtest app (or equivalent) from Google play store.
Also check in android date/time settings that you are using network provided time.
You could also try an Ethernet connection if you are not already to see if that improves things.
If that has no effect, then contact support (details at foot of the forum). Have your order details handy.

ADz83

Apr 3, 2016
Thanks for reply bud.

Hi adz,

There may be an issue with the box and if it is under warranty you will be able to contact Droidbox direct to discuss fixing/possible replacement.

I think I bought it direct probably over a year ago now so they would probably not replace it for me. I'll have to check :(

When you say the date keeps resetting, does it reset to 1/1/70 or similar?

Yes, back to Jan 1st 1970 every single time.

I have seen this behaviour before and sometimes it is due to a poor wifi connection.

I have excellent Wifi signal.

You could test this by running the speedtest app (or equivalent) from Google play store.

I have a fiber to home line and max capacity is about 140Mbps via other devices and usually around 60Mbps for the Droidbox.

Also check in android date/time settings that you are using network provided time.

On or off this has made no difference. I've tried both settings multiple times.

You could also try an Ethernet connection if you are not already to see if that improves things.

It wouldn't. My connection/stability is excellent.

If that has no effect, then contact support (details at foot of the forum). Have your order details handy.

I think I'm going to have to go this route. I just didn't wasn't to have to send my device off and wait for repair or replacement etc and be without box for a while. I was hoping it would be a software issue.

IIRC I never had this issue when first got device. The date/time as far as I remember kept ok but could be wrong. I feel like it's either a software bug or maybe the internal board battery like on a PC/phone etc.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Don't think the boxes' motherboards have the equivalent of a CMOS battery. Can I check who your ISP is, we've had specific NTP servers blocked by Vodafone in the Republic of Ireland in the past.

ADz83

Apr 3, 2016
Don't think the boxes' motherboards have the equivalent of a CMOS battery. Can I check who your ISP is, we've had specific NTP servers blocked by Vodafone in the Republic of Ireland in the past.

My ISP is KCOM/Karoo/Kingston Communications.

Some apps will randomly lose their settings as well and Kodi seems to forget the USB drive after reboot even when it's still connected upon reboot. This means that everything in library does not lead to the USB drive. It's as if it's recognized as a new device and not the one before reboot.

I think I bought it over a year ago. Can I still send it back for replacement?

Wahed v

Aug 24, 2016
I am vodafone and no issue with time and date even location.... but still have the issue of restarting the device (T8-S PLUS ) every single time I turned on

Sent from my GT-I9505 using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Ive got the new ver 2 T8-S Plus and i get the same issue when rebooting. When android starts it flashes up Jan 1st 2015 then after a couple of seconds it auto corrects itsself.

In LibraELEC it stays at 1st Jan 2015 00:00 and starts from there time and date wize until reboot. Then back to Jan 1st 2015 00:00

As such i only use android at the moment until a fix is sorted.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I've just done a factory reset which looks promising so far. Time and date in LibraELEC and android are correct.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Reactions: ChrisM