lineweight

Mar 12, 2018
I got a T8 SE the other day, which I was hoping would solve some of my home audio/video headaches but I've unfortunately run into some problems which prevent me using it in the way I wanted. These relate in some extent to the specific features of the T8 SE that I bought it for, so if I can't resolve these then it looks like a return request, and buy a less expensive box instead.

However I don't want to give up on it prematurely, so if there are ways to solve these issues then I'd be very grateful. At the moment these are my most significant problems:

Running under Android OS:

1) The Droidbox Share app crashes on me when I try and use the screen mirroring function (that is, display the T8 screen on my Android smartphone). This is fairly crucial functionality to me, because I want to be able to control the device without always having the TV monitor switched on. This for playing music, internet radio etc. The same thing happens with my phone (LG G5) and my partner's phone (Sony Z5 compact). Both Android phones. The other bits of the app work ok, but as soon as I try to do the screen mirror, I get a message on the T8 that Droidbox share has stopped running. Re-open and it does the same. NB the failure is happening at the T8 end, not on either of the phones (the app on the phone doesn't crash)

2) The Netflix app on the T8 doesn't work. Same thing, it just closes, same happens when I try re-opening.

Running Kodi on the Libreelec OS:

3) A reason I like the idea of a dual boot system was that certain things like Netflix are a bit of a pain to set up on Kodi, although I quite like Kodi for audio playback. Anyway, trying to run Netflix on Kodi could be a fallback option. However, there's a fundamental problem with running Kodi on Libreelec because it gives the screen a heavy purple colour cast. A bit of googling (including another thread on here) suggests this is to do with the signal being sent in the wrong colourspace (RGB vs something else). But I can't see any way to force a colourspace change on my monitor, and I can't see anywhere it can be changed in the Libreelec settings. I'm using an HDMI cable which goes into a DVI adapter on the monitor. Have tried a different cable, same problem. This colour cast is not a problem when running the Android OS.

I have various other comments about this box but they are not deal-breakers at this stage.

Any help with the above appreciated - thanks.

lineweight

Mar 12, 2018
4) Does google cast/chrome cast actually work on this? The product info implies it's built in, but I can't find a way to use it. For example if I open up the youtube app on my phone, I'm not given any option to cast, with the droidbox online and on the same network.

lineweight

Mar 12, 2018
The lack of any response here to the various issues I've described is a bit disappointing.

It means that for me, it can't do the things that were the reasons I bought it. It doesn't give me anything extra to the slightly limited capabilities of running Kodi on my old mac mini, which is what I've reverted to.

I'll be returning it.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Have you spoken to support direct? As this is a user forum it is possible that fellow users have not encountered the issues you describe or use their boxes in that way.

lineweight

Mar 12, 2018
Have you spoken to support direct? As this is a user forum it is possible that fellow users have not encountered the issues you describe or use their boxes in that way.

Hi - I'd got the impression from your website, as well as looking at previous threads, that staff would respond to troubleshooting issues here. Then everyone can benefit from those responses.

So I've not spoken to support direct, no. Are the problems I describe ones which you are not able to reproduce?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi. I'm a user like you. I don't work for Droidbox so don't know sorry.
Dbx staff do respond from time to time here but I do recommend you contact support direct, either by live chat,phone or email. You can refer to this thread.
I have not seen anyone else report the issue you refer to here.