yorky1

Aug 13, 2015
I have a T8 v3 box purchased just over a year ago and i cannot update to Kodi Krypton. I understand this is caused by my box running android kit kat and krypton requires marshallow or newer. Will an update to marshmallow be issued soon? I like to use wizards and it is inevitable in the coming weeks and months the regular wizard updates will only work with Krypton. When i bought my T8 V3 box at the backend of 2015 it was the latest, fastest box on the market and now without the android update it is likely to soon become obsolete. Phones seem to update the operating system as required so why can't my T8 box be updated?

yorky1

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Is your box a Droidbox? I cannot recollect a T8 V3 model supplied by them.
Kodi 17 requires lollipop.
Whether your box can update to lollipop depends on the chipset. Probably in your case an amlogic s802.
No box supplier has got a fully working android update for that chip.
The good news is that android kit kat and kodi 16 will work for a long, long time yet.
If your box has a different chip it is possible the firmware can be updated. Is there an OTA update from your box supplier?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Will an update to marshmallow be issued soon?
check with entertainmentbox.com

FWIW, if they don't have Android 5 or higher for your device, you'll be fine with Kodi 16.1 for quite a time yet. You'll also find phone models that don't get Android updates. It depends (partially) on Amlogic releasing correct files for a device specific firmware to be created.