howie314

Jan 16, 2015
Hi all,

My t8 is reporting an excellent signal but only 65mb on both 2.4 and 5gb wifi networks?

Is this normal?

cheers for any advice.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
In short, yes - that is a fairly average stat to be reported.
Did you use the Speedtest app to check the bandwidth available? You may find internal LAN file transfers (not involving the internet) can go faster.
You could try the http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/wifi-analyzer.83/ app to check if there are channels that have less congestion (so higher bandwidth likely) - you can switch between 2.4 and 5GHz networks there.
Above all of that, there are not many online public sources of video streams that will ever hit even 1/4 of that speed. Imagine filling swimming pool with a garden hose... it doesn't matter how wide the hose is, if the pressure from the local water board isn't incredibly high, you'll soon find a maximum flow rate of your water trumps the width of your hose.

howie314

Jan 16, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My concern is not with respect to the throughput its the fact that what I assume after further reading is a single channel wifi device in the T8 cannot physically connect to my router above 65mb.

Doesn't really affect my use but I just wondered if the device is limited in some way by driver etc rather than hardware.

I am new to this device but spent some time trying to resolve such issues with a cubieboard.

Thanks Again for your response

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks for explaining. It may be that the next T8 firmware will be compiled using updated source code from the chipset manufacturer and so better performance could occur then.