longjj

Jul 20, 2014
I have tunnelbear on my t8 mini I bought last week but when I ask it to connect it drops the connection right after it connect

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Maybe try a reinstall of the app?

Are you wifi connected or ethernet?
If wifi, how good is your connection?
Maybe try with ethernet and see if that is more stable.

If continuing failure probably best to contact tunnel bear support who can advise on any settings.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you do end up needing to contact their support team, they used to be very helpful (I've not used their service since returning to the UK).
They may want to know if tun.ko installer was mentioned during installation, and if so whether it has been run.
(they may not use this approach any more, just going from old memories).

longjj

Jul 20, 2014
They responded back to me and said there is noting they can do as it is a third party android box and it could not be certified to run the apps

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Not so helpful then, shame. An Android set top box is the same as a phone or a tablet, just minus the touchscreen.

OK, let's have a go then. Not our app, so can't promise, but...

They used to require tun.ko installer to be installed and run - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aed.tun.installer&hl=en_GB

Might also be worth popping into the Play Store to check if any updates are waiting, https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/first-run-of-googles-play-store/

If it doesn't work out well with Tunnel Bear, give IPVanish a try. https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/droidbox-announces-partnership-with-ipvanish-vpn/

Last edited:

longjj

Jul 20, 2014
Hi

The app is up to date
I installed tun.ko but the app will not do anything once it is open and tunnelbear still will not stay connected

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Hi there I subscribed to Tunnelbear about a year ago as I had a login and password for NBC sports and the premier league and it was ok for a month or so then started getting disconnection issues. Spoke to their support and was told that it's not compatible with android tv boxes.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
"not compatible with Android TV boxes" is a bit of a misnomer, used by Technical Support staff at companies where they're looking for the easiest way to dump you quickly. Likely a company policy rather than individual lazy trouble shooters!

Android TV boxes are for the most part very similar to an Android tablet or phone, but without a touchscreen and adding HDMI and ethernet ports.

The tech support staff haven't used an Android set top box before? Trouble shoot, research and fix. You don't need to advertise that you officially support TV boxes, but if you're presented with an issue using your company's software, better to investigate, apply logic, fix and post the knowledge somewhere online for others to find.

[/end rant]

Reactions: sean99

Cowne

Jan 15, 2017
And yet, the problem and failed to solve? I had a similar error, I can't understand why it happened. Maybe it's the proxy or the vpn settings.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Have been using PIA (private internet access) for the past 8 months with great success, also very good customer support for £30 a year:)