Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
The volume is crazy loud. If I spin the volume control I can only get it to turn of with no sound or super loud. Any suggestions here? I need to be able to change the volume. Otherwise I will have to play with ear plugs to not hurt my ears.

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
I do not have my unit yet - but if I found the volume really loud I will put in a resistor to reduce it. Alternatively I may also use a potentiometer in case there is enough space in the unit. But a (higher wattage) resistor is probably the easiest solution.

Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
I do not have my unit yet - but if I found the volume really loud I will put in a resistor to reduce it. Alternatively I may also use a potentiometer in case there is enough space in the unit. But a (higher wattage) resistor is probably the easiest solution.

Sound very complicated in my ears. Could you perhaps guide me through it once you have your unit? My family won’t let me play with my unit since the volume is way to load. So this is a real problem.

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
Are you comfortable with opening the unit up? Are you experienced (comfortable) with very simple electronics work?
For now you could just plug a headphone in, and if you have one which has an inline volume control that could be a fix (at least a temporary one), no?

Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
Are you comfortable with opening the unit up? Are you experienced (comfortable) with very simple electronics work?
For now you could just plug a headphone in, and if you have one which has an inline volume control that could be a fix (at least a temporary one), no?
I’ve already opened it up and made a custom case for it. So I’ve been disconnecting everything and put it all back. I rather use a more complicated way of fixing it than add an external cable to the phone output. So please let me know what other solutions I have. Can I put something that can change the volume between the chip and the speaker?

Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
I’ve already opened it up and made a custom case for it. So I’ve been disconnecting everything and put it all back. I rather use a more complicated way of fixing it than add an external cable to the phone output. So please let me know what other solutions I have. Can I put something that can change the volume between the chip and the speaker?

Attachments

• 628661E2-1FF7-47F3-B470-F3DE3903A42C.jpeg
    628661E2-1FF7-47F3-B470-F3DE3903A42C.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 179

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
Great. If you can measure the speaker - check the impedance (how many ohms). It is most probably either 4 ohms or 8. To halve the volume on a 4 ohm speaker just get a 4 ohm 1 W resistor and connect it between the speaker and the board. The resistor should be pretty cheap. If you cannot measure it then get both 4 ohm and 8 ohm and try both - use the one you prefer. When you get the resistor make sure that it is 1W or more - as if you use a lower powered one it may overheat and possibly melt.
PS: I like your custom case!

Last edited:

Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
Great. If you can measure the speaker - check the impedance (how many ohms). It is most probably either 4 ohms or 8. To halve the volume on a 4 ohm speaker just get a 4 ohm 1 W resistor and connect it between the speaker and the board. The resistor should be pretty cheap. If you cannot measure it then get both 4 ohm and 8 ohm and try both - use the one you prefer. When you get the resistor make sure that it is 1W or more - as if you use a lower powered one it may overheat and possibly melt.
PS: I like your custom case!
Thanks, and thank you for the guide.

Mattias

Jan 16, 2019
Good luck - I am happy to help if I can. I will do exactly the same on my unit (plus a few other small mods) as soon as it arrives.
The one thing I really would love to do is to remove the super ugly fish boot image. I would prefer just a black screen or a now losing text or whatever. It’s horrible.

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
The one thing I really would love to do is to remove the super ugly fish boot image. I would prefer just a black screen or a now losing text or whatever. It’s horrible.
I will see what could be done about that as soon as I get access to the unit (or hopefully - even before that if I can get access to the original firmware image file).

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
I will try, but it may be a while since I do not have my unit yet and I am unable to find a downloadable copy of the original firmware image :(

Gadgetguy

Apr 18, 2019
Update: I may take this even further. Just ordered some parts allowing me to turn the unit into a full raspberry pi emulation station. Those parts come with proper volume control. So I will most probably not tweak the factory setup too much. I will try it briefly and then convert to a raspberry pi :)