ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
For every reference to Kodi below, you can apply this to DBMC (DroidBOX Media Centre), XBMC (the old name for Kodi) and SPMC.

If you have seen a message like this:
TVAddonsHTTPSnotificationJarvis16.png

(In Kodi 16.1 or earlier)

TVAddonsHTTPSnotificationKrypton17.png

(In Kodi 17.0 or 17.1)

Please note a few things:
This is not an official message from the Kodi team, or indeed DroidBOX.

TV Addons have overstated the case somewhat. If you do not have any add-ons installed from the TV Addons team, the message won't appear on your system.

They would really like you to install their software, you are free to do so if it is compatible, but most people will stick with Kodi or DBMC. DroidBOX do not offer any support for TVAddons's build/fork of Kodi.

In the future, yes more hosting services will be using a version of the HTTPS protocol that older versions of Kodi (specifically the Python modules in Kodi) can not handle. Until then, you can continue to use the same application and version that you do right now.

If you have a recent device with Android 5 or 6, you can install Kodi 17.1 from the Play Store. The message above is still shown even when you are running Kodi 17. Completely ignore it, click the Dismiss button.

If your device has Android 4.4, then Kodi 16.1 and DBMC 16.3.0 are the latest compatible versions.
There is however a solution in Android - FTMC. See https://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/ftmc.9481/ (http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/general-tv-player-dicussions/xbmc-talk/575588-ftmc has links for the latest version to download and install).

If you are running Android 4 and have an X7, X7 Ultimate, X8 Ultimate, Q7, Q8, Q8-S, Go projector, PlayON make sure you try the Rockchip APK from that thread.

If you have a T8, M8, EM8, T8-S, M3, M5, K5, M6, iMX6 or original T8-S, you can try the Amlogic APK from that thread.

In both cases you will effectively have Kodi 16 (with a different name), but with updated Python modules so sources hosted with the newer HTTPS version in use will work.

If you have a T8-S device (not the Plus v1 or v2) and are happy to experiment with a BETA version of LibreELEC, you can have by following the steps at Kodi 17 https://www.droidboxforums.com/thre...1-with-kodi-17-1-test-for-original-t8-s.9494/ . If you don't want to change from your current version of OpenELEC, stick to the FTMC application mentioned above.

Note: As ever, thanks to the great members of our community here for their threads, links, thoughts and PMs on this topic.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
@ChrisM thanks for the great information about this, I ignored it at first but then salts and other add ons started failing I finally took action when the source problems started

I posted the process that I had to do and a update its running smoothly now boots faster unlike the last post i don't have to retry loading 3 times one click opens but it will lock up on some tv shows when you try to load sources then you have to pull the power and restart

So this and the other solutions are a better option for people to use other than forcing the system

RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but how do i install this FTMC fork? Do i simply copy the .apk onto a card and run it from there? Will it overwrite the existing droidbox setup or is it much more intensive than that?? I've been having problems with SALTS and Exodus and a couple of others for a couple of months now so i'm guessing it's down to this HTTPS malarky which is why i feel i need to change to this fork.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but how do i install this FTMC fork? Do i simply copy the .apk onto a card and run it from there? Will it overwrite the existing droidbox setup or is it much more intensive than that?? I've been having problems with SALTS and Exodus and a couple of others for a couple of months now so i'm guessing it's down to this HTTPS malarky which is why i feel i need to change to this fork.
@RyanH have posted the latest versions in the FTMC thread, from the browser on your box logon to the dbx forum and download the correct version for your box aml or rockchip. Then use es file explorer to access the downloaded file of which will be in 'downloads' folder then install it and away you go. It will not overwrite any kodi, dbmc or spmc versions you may already have.