Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
@Waggers is twitter is it not.
Unless the cable is something special then I don't need one. As you can read in yesterday's post at 12.11 I have purchased a new one.

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
Hi guys OK my t8 has been returned to Droidbox and they cannot replicate the problem, although I think they don't have any Panasonic tv's to try it on. They have replaced my box with a new one but I am getting the same thing so not sure if I should ask for a refund or not as I do like the box in all other respects. I agree with Husham that it looks like an issue between the box and panasonic tv's, very strange. Waggers can you tell me what hdmi cable you tried as I might give a better cable a try just to see if it makes any difference.
Regards to all Pete.

Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
PeteA,
The cable I bought was a Sandstrom Silver series 2m 21Gbps. Got a superb deal for it at my local PC World as it was the last one they had in stock. It's connected to a Samsung UE40JU6740 which has 4 HDMI ports. I have tried all the ports. Each can be configured for various devices - not sure what this does however (it's not described in the user guide) - but I have tried them all. I have also had HDMI-CEC on and off on the TV and the T8 Mini.
The outcome is I can only get the T8 to connect at 1080p or 720p @ 60mhz.
I have spoken to Samsung and they diagnosed it an issue with the initial handshake between the TV and the T8. It's at this point where the device T8 decides what it is connected to via HDMI. As this TV works with the Samsung recently announced 4k BluRay, which I have seen connected to the same model as mine in the shop, then my conclusion is the fault lies with the T8 mini. So no matter which cable I have tried it made no difference in my case.
This does not help you however with your issue I'm afraid.
I just hope Droidbox can come up with a resolution for both of us.
Has anybody else got a similar issue?

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
Hi Waggers
It looks like we have similar problems as it is the tv talking to the t8 that seems to be my problem also, I know that the hdmi port on the tv works OK as have had a blue ray that up scales to 4k 60 and a cheaper android tv box (mxq pro 4k) that both have no problems with 4k 60 into my tv. I think like you that the t8 mini has a problem on its hdmi 2.0 implementation that is causing our problems, I will be ringing Droidbox tomorrow to see if it's likely to be sorted in a firmware release if not I think it's money back time.
Regards to all Pete.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Waggers @PeteA We would really like to resolve this, but as we don't have any TVs that behave this way, would you be willing to test a different firmware?

If so, could you (or anyone with identical issues on their T8 Mini and 4K TV or monitor) please e-mail us - [email protected] - with a link to this thread and your order ID.
You will need an SD memory card (or a micro/mini SD card and adapter) for the procedure.

If you would prefer not to, understood entirely.

Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
Yes I am willing to give the firmware update a try providing it doesn't mess up the box and that it will be usable afterwards. I need assurance you will support my box if it goes amiss as a result.
PeteA had a different problem to me as you know.
I will contact support.

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
I am also willing to try it out, but as Waggers says I think that if it does not work we need assurance that our boxs will be supported.
Email to support sent.
Regards to all Pete.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Any issues arising from the use of this test T8 Mini firmware WILL BE COVERED BY DROIDBOX, unequivocally.
I'm writing out the steps and will send them via e-mail, should be with you before end of the work day.

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
Hi Silently Screaming
OK followed your process and no matter how long I hold in the reset button all it does is to reset the box and then boot into Droidbox Android! box just appears to ignore the reset button.
Regards Pete

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
Hi SS
OK updated firmware by using the update and backup app in Apps drawer, which worked like a charm. Yes kodi works now when Android set to 4k 60, no blank screen or having to pull the Hdmi lead. Obviously can't try OpenElec but hope you will be able to sort it out in time.

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
OK guys have now installed dbmc which is now also working fine. Can't find control centre in droidbox Market? can you tell me how I download and install it. Thanks for your help.
Regards to all Pete.

Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
I had to install this firmware via the method described by PeteA. As he stated the box just booted up to Androld and didn't update the firmware even though the 'update firmware' was pressed throughout the power up cycle.
Anyhow the firmware is now updated but it didn't detect I had a 4k tv. I only have the 720 and 1080p options as previous.
Could you supply me with a link to revert back to the Droidbox firmware please.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'm getting a T8 Mini sent over to me, my apologies for the fw procedure not working as expected.

@PeteA glad it sorted things out, we'll get the changes integrated into a DroidBOX firmware (which will include the OpenELEC OS and DroidBOX Android apps in it as well). Thank you for testing and letting us know about using the app to change the firmware.

@Waggers Sorry to hear it didn't help, we'll need to find another approach with this issue. I'll get an e-mail to you re. reverting to the original fw, the file is in a different format so checking what needs to be done.

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
That's a shame Waggers I hoped it would sort you out as well, that's a strange problem you have there.
Regards Pete

Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
Thanks SS
Just out of interest and not sure if this makes a difference my HDMI sockets on the tv are annotaged:-
HDMI 1 STB/DVI
HDMI 2 MHL
HDMI 3 ARC
HDMI 4 nothing
The Samsung support said the T8 needed to be plugged in HDMI 2.
I have however tried the T8 mini in all HDMI ports with the original fw and this trial fw.
Pete,
Thanks for your comments - I too had great hopes especially since it cured your problem. However my only free source for 4k at the moment is Youtube and Netflix/Amazon,when I can afford it, direct through the tv.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'm waiting for more information to pass on, your e-mail was received and has been flagged up. Regarding this fw and Kodi, could be worth uninstalling it and getting fresh copy from the Play Store if DBx fw restoration instructions don't arrive in time for your trip. Or grabbing DBMC from the DroidBOX Market (if you visit https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/droidbox-market/ you can grab the Market to then get DBMC and other apps that may be of use.)

PeteA

Aug 5, 2016
Hi SS
I notice using this firmware that there is an update for the boot rom, is this worth doing or should we wait for a droidbox one.
Regards to all Pete.