cjordan1683

Dec 14, 2021
Greetings, I am in a real frustrating situation with my RP2. I am stuck on 6.0 and cannot update to the Retroid OS 8.1.
I was following this tutorial verbatim:
and when I got to the 5:00 marker, I figured I was all set to format and install, but when I click the Download button nothing happens. I can sit there for up to 5 minutes and nothing processes. I tried multiple times following the tutorial to an exact 'T' but it just will not upgrade. I thought maybe there was a problem with my device key, so I deleted it thinking there was a problem with it, and figured I could just extract it again using the RP2 Key Backup.bat file. Apparently not so much. Now I don't have my device key anymore, and I have no idea how to restore it. I then searched online and multiple people said if you contact sales at Retroid they can help to restore this for me. They reached out to me and said they need the QR Code, but every time I click the ZL Button 6 times in the Settings Menu nothing happens. I've addressed this problem on the Retroid Reddit page as well, and I'm not feeling confident that they will get back with me either. This whole process is turning into an absolute nightmare when all I want to do is upgrade my device. Please Help.

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
Did you install the MediaTek and Android USB drivers prior?

Also regarding the QR code, are you using Retroid OS for this step?

To summarize the steps:
1) Open Retroid OS (in Android, connect to Wi-Fi and run the installer from the Toolbox app if you do not have this)
2) Connect to Wi-Fi in Retroid OS
3) Go back to the first menu in Retroid OS (the one you access from holding the home button originally)
4) Tap the ZL button quickly six times (you might need to mash)
5) Select the register-online option, and a QR code should appear.

cjordan1683

Dec 14, 2021
Did you install the MediaTek and Android USB drivers prior?

Also regarding the QR code, are you using Retroid OS for this step?

To summarize the steps:
1) Open Retroid OS (in Android, connect to Wi-Fi and run the installer from the Toolbox app if you do not have this)
2) Connect to Wi-Fi in Retroid OS
3) Go back to the first menu in Retroid OS (the one you access from holding the home button originally)
4) Tap the ZL button quickly six times (you might need to mash)
5) Select the register-online option, and a QR code should appear.
"Did you install the MediaTek and Android USB drivers prior?"
Yes, as mentioned, I followed the tutorial to an exact 'T' I wouldn't make a statement like that just for the fun of it.

"Also regarding the QR code, are you using Retroid OS for this step?"
THIS is now something I have finally found but people need to stop using the term, "Retroid OS" because that was what was tripping me up all along. It's the RETROID POCKET SYSTEM that I had to access all along. The OS is what you boot into when you boot the Retroid up, and that was the navigation that I was using all along in the normal settings menu. Had people said the Retroid Pocket System I would have known exactly where I was supposed to go right away. Since I now have my QR Code, it's just a matter of contacting the live chat because in their email Retroid said they have to do it with me. I've got this process going now, but being in Eastern Standard Time in the United States is going to be difficult. It's currently 7:15 am here, and since they're from Nice, France (specified on their website) they should be 6 hours ahead of me.

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
"Did you install the MediaTek and Android USB drivers prior?"
Yes, as mentioned, I followed the tutorial to an exact 'T' I wouldn't make a statement like that just for the fun of it.
Just making double-sure! In my years of troubleshooting you'd be surprised how often people overlook basic steps :)
I've done it myself on more than one occasion. o_O

As for the distinction between operating systems - The device itself runs what is essentially a stripped down version of vanilla Android. So people use Retroid OS because "Android" and "Retroid OS" are more immediately distinct than "Retroid O(perating)S(ystem)" and "Retroid Pocket System".

Good to hear you got your QR code finally however. Fingers crossed it gets sorted.