Paul B

Jul 15, 2014
Also one thing I did notice after the OTA update, I could not access anything on the web browser as there was a constant pop up message saying something about security certificates being invalid which they were not. The time and date were completely wrong even though the automatic update was ticked in android settings. Manually setting the correct time and date sorted this problem out. Again I'm not sure if it's relevant but worth having a look I suppose.

busapaul

Jan 13, 2016
Good call Paul B, a wrong time and date setting will screw up most things.. that goes for both Android on a box and windows on a pc.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Rebooting the router and checking parent controls and security too. Just in case, Paul B good call on time setting.
I just assumed thats part of the setting up process. Let hope it gets sorted thats the main thing.

Good luck

Dave S

Last edited:

finty

Apr 25, 2016
Morning guys, thank you. I will have another hash at it today. Just rechecked my router settings, they are okay as are time and date. What I did notice after the last reset was that when I opted to run Kodi (from apps on home screen) rather than DBMC it was actually DBMC, not official Kodi which confused me. I also cleared data and cache after each failed wiz attempt.

finty

Apr 25, 2016
Well... factory reset, installed official Kodi, found Sean's Wookie build, installed it and crashed straight out to home screen. It's just not working despite following everything by the book. Getting mad now. I spent an inordinate amount of time on this yesterday. Think it's time to contact support.

Thanks guys for your patience, help and advice. Much appreciated.

Paul B

Jul 15, 2014
Yeh there's definitely something amiss there. Droidbox support are really good and will sort it for you.

Last edited:

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
finty, did the wizard finish as this happens when it has installed.
Reboot your box and try going into kodi and see what is there.
I know you lost a lot of time, but can't think what else it could be.

finty

Apr 25, 2016
Yes the wizard did finish installing. I was browsing through and it kicked me out. That was adding using Kodi Jarvis. Confused as to why when I factory reset I have 2 versions of DBMC, it shows DMBC icon in apps and Kodi with the Droidbox colour scheme. When I run that earlier it was basically DBMC. Feel as if I am going round in ever increasing circles. Find it strange that everything was perfect when I received the box a few weeks ago and the issues started after the OTA update.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Yes there are 2 DBMC one is 15.2 and the other 16.1.2 if I remember.
Yes it can get confusing, even more so when you've been going around and around with the same fault.
Sorry we couldn't help sort this and best of luck with support on Monday.
If I think of anything else I'll post it here.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
One last thing, when we ran the old wizard we had to unplug the power cord from the back of the box (while in kodi). This helped it install the wizard on your box. Go back into the one you ran the wizard on and do this see if it helps. Worth a go....

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Oh well....:confused:

I'm a bit rusty, I've had some time off...

I can here the pub calling my name......

Not really........
It's go the pub or watch Eurovision contest...er.....pub here I come.

Good luck.

Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Finty, I appreciate your patience in trying to resolve this thing. There is 2 options.
Nr1. Can you please submit a log for Kodi/DBMC crash using the DroidBOX Control Center app and share the log ID with us and we will have a look into it why it may be failing.
Check this video on how to use Control Center app -
Nr2. can you please try to reinstall Kodi 15.2 which used to work on your device before the update
https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/kodi-spmc-and-dbmc-downloads/
If it still won't work, and we could not see any abnormally in Kodi, then we will need this device to be returned back to us so we could identify the fault.

Thank you

finty

Apr 25, 2016
Okay from a fresh factory reset

DBMC 16.12
Kodi 16.1-RC2

Updated control centre, granted permissions to log

DBMC > prealpha error pops up
installed Wookie lite (disconnected power and go back into DBMC)
Wookie is building menu
Prealpha error pops up
Tried a stream then exited to Wookie splash screen
Wookie is showing addons being updated on ticker at top
It hung on one, just addon icon showing at top and a black screen
Switch off box

Go to send log and it asks me again to enable logging (possible I didn't press ok after granting permissions)

Grant permissions again, click OK

Go to browser and download 15.2 (final) from the link provided
Downloads> file is there, click to install and get error message 'app not installed'

Sent log file number 1132.

I then noticed logging was disabled again. Does it have to be activated every time you want to log something or should it stay activated until you disable it?

Back into DBMC > wookie is there and apparently working, I put it through a few paces

System status - seemingly working DBMC with Wookie installed (long exit time). Prealpha pop up error.

Where do I go now? Should I enable logging everytime before I start DBMC.

Sorry I am so pernickety and rambling but a number of years in the past working in systems and beta testing I like it when things work the way they were designed to work (no errors) :p

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The pre-alpha message isn't really an error, it is a notification letting you know that there is a newer version available.

The memory used statistic from DBMC/Kodi is definitely your RAM, not how much free storage space you have left.
(If you're not familiar with RAM vs ROM/Storage, think of RAM as the memory in your brain, but it clears each time you go to bed, where as Storage/ROM is like a book/diary you write everything down in, still accessible when you wake the next day).

Slow exiting from XBMC/Kodi/SPMC/DBMC has always been around for me (once lots of add-ons are installed), prior to when I first came across a DroidBOX device.
When I'm finished with the app, I select the Exit option then tend to switch inputs on the TV to catch some news or similar. Before heading to bed I flip back to check the DroidBOX is at the launcher's homescreen then power off the DroidBOX.

After running any Wizard (or otherwise installing a big batch of add-ons from a static source), the first time you run DBMC/Kodi, leave it alone a good 5-15 minutes before trying to use the add-ons.
If you're using Exodus (just as an example) and the just-installed version is 1.2.9, then when it updates to 1.3.2 (again these names/version numbers are just examples) you will be thrown out of the add-on. If you wait for all updates to complete, then the system won't have a reason to boot you out of the add-on. The packs you download with Wizards may have been created days, weeks or sometimes even months ago. This means that as time goes on, more and more add-ons will need to be updated the first time you run Kodi/DBMC after installing the pack from a wizard.

Regarding issues installing Kodi 15.2, you'll need to uninstall the existing version first.

If you're trying to catch an error using logging and DroidBOX's Control Centre, then yes, please open the Control Centre and enable logging each time, prior to opening DBMC/Kodi.

finty

Apr 25, 2016
Thank you. I am familiar with ROM, just not android systems, still figuring out how this one is set up. Things seem to have stabilised (I hope). Wookie finally managed to load. Previously it was kicking me out or freezing the second the splash screen came up. The slow exit is a new thing to me since I updated (and have far less addons). I used it today and everything was fine. Long may it continue.

Thank you everyone for your help and patience.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Keeping fingers crossed for you...when you run the wizard again in the future best wait around 15 mins for add-on to update as Mr Silentlyscreaming has said above. Sometimes when this updates it can freeze or kick you back. Normally I just swipe it away if you have a air mouse remote.
If you go to go in to kodi and it just hangs on a black screen, then go to setting in Android and Other and more setting and Apps and force stop and clear cache. This should sort it, then go in and let it finish updating.
Kodi is a big learning curve and can get frustrating at times, but you never gave up...so pat on the back for that.

Enjoy

Reactions: finty