scantJoke

Jan 22, 2015
Hi,

I ordered an X7 Ultimate back in July which, until recently, has worked well. I noticed the other day that my addons in XBMC have disappeared. I have tried to follow the blogs on your site to update them using the droidbox AddOns wizard but this doesn't work however many times I try, it returns with a script error.

I noticed now that the X7 Ultimates now come with Android KitKat installed and was wondering if my device, which is running JellyBean, would be capable of upgrading to this. Also, I have version 12.4 Gotham XBMC while the new ones have v13. Would this be able to upgrade also?

Thanks.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
v12 build of XBMC is Frodo
v13 build of XBMC is Gotham
You can find the APKs for both builds with our Wizard built in this area of the forum, pinned to the top. http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/gotham-xbmc-only-for-x7-q7-devices.8/ for the Gotham one.

Re your X7 Ultimate being upgradable to KitKat or not, let us know what the label on the bottom says of your X7 Ultimate (for example, AC8350, Q7, EKB311B, BT351) & when you purchased and we'll check whether there is a newer firmware avilable.

scantJoke

Jan 22, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

The label underneath the box has model X7 ultimate and serial number BX09140300337. There is no other number similar to your examples.

I bought the device from Amazon in July last year.

I have now managed to install xbmc Gotham and run the addons wizard but it now keeps crashing back to the main dashboard once I run it.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
With XBMC crashing back like that, this only seems to happen with the Confluence Customizable Mod skin. If you can get into XBMC at all, head to System>Appearance>Skin> select the Confluence (not Confluence Customizable Mod skin) skin and confirm you're certain.
If you can't get into XBMC, then open up Android's Settings and click on the Apps entry (no Apps? click the last tab on the right, More Settings button, then Apps), scroll down to XBMC entry, click, select Clear Data button. Then re-run the DroidBOX Wizard. At the end of the Wizard, when you'd normally remove the power lead, please DON'T. Instead, head back to System>Appearance>Skin> select the Confluence (not Confluence Customizable Mod skin) skin and confirm you're certain, THEN exit XBMC via the power/standby icon next to the icon of a star. When you next start XBMC, you'll be using the original skin and should find that XBMC doesn't crash out.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If we have a more recent firmware available and you're able to flash it yourself, there is no charge. However, the latest DroidBOX firmware is still 4.2.2 with a 3.0.36 kernel.
But, if you really want KitKat, search online for AC8350 firmwares, they should be compatible. I should point out that flashing a non-DroidBOX firmware would invalidate your warranty should anything go wrong (and flashing back to our firmware didn't help), but the choice is yours. FreakTab.com might be a good place to look for firmwares that are compatible, and you may need to unscrew your box to check the circuits & chips (to ensure a 3rd party firmware was compatible) - again this would kill of the warranty. It might be worth you starting a new thread here with a title like
Looking for AC8350/BX09 KitKat 3rd Party Firmware
as we have some enthusiasts here who may know where to look.